103: How Trauma Affects Our Relationships
Release Date: 07/12/2017
Kristen Holbrook is a Registered Clinical Counsellor based in Coquitlam, BC. Kristen offers both individual and couples counseling in her private practice. She has specialized training in the area of trauma and has been trained in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). In addition to her private practice work, Kristen provides counseling to women who have experienced historical and domestic abuse in an agency setting.
In this episode we discuss relationship advice topics that include:
- How past trauma affects how we see ourselves and our partners.
- Why trauma does not have to be a big thing. Trauma can have an impact whenever something exceeds are ability to cope with it.
- How trauma can come from early childhood experiences and past relationships.
- Why self-work is important to dealing with trauma in order to improve your relationship.
- Why it's important that you come from a place of empathy if you're dealing with a partner who is addressing a traumatic experience.
- And much more!
Full Show Notes at http://idopodcast.com/103
Talkspace: The online therapy company that believes that therapy should be affordable, confidential and convenient.
Join over 500,000 people who have used Talkspace for online therapy with their licensed therapist. Get $30 off your first month when you visit Talkspace.com/IDO.
Audible: Use the link below, and sign up for a free 30-day trial and one free audiobook download! You will have to enter your CC information, but you can just cancel the trial at the end of the month if you don’t like it and not pay a dime. There are a ton of great relationship audiobooks on Audible.com. Consider downloading The 5 Love Languages for your free download. Audibletrial.com/idopodcast
If you love the show, please subscribe in iTunes and leave a review! It really helps, and allows us to keep bringing you these episodes each week! - Chase & Sarah