Dr. David Buss: Why Understanding Evolutionary Psychology Will Get You Rich
Release Date: 12/21/2017
“We evolved in small groups, and all groups have status hierarchies. From an evolutionary perspective, reproductively relevant resources always accrue to those with the highest status.” - Dr. David Buss
(click to tweet)
It’s no secret that a greater understanding of people will lead you to more success in business.
From hiring to collaborating to managing to pitching, almost every touchpoint of business involves interacting with people. And if you’re not interacting, you are most likely working on your product that will ultimately affect or influence people. Thus, a greater understanding of human behavior and psychology will undoubtedly help you take your business to the next level.
But how you choose to learn about human behavior is what will determine your level of knowledge and ultimately separate you from the competition. And that is why we are so focused on evolutionary psychology. To study evolutionary psychology is to understand the human being from the core; how did we evolve over the past hundreds of millions of years to be the way we are today.
On today’s episode of The Tai Lopez Show, we are joined by world-renowned evolutionary psychologist, Dr. David Buss. Professor Buss is the author of The New Science of the Mind, and currently teaches at the University of Texas at Austin. He has previously taught at Harvard and the University of Michigan, and today he explains how the principles of evolutionary psychology can be applied to business.
Don’t forget! You can also listen to The Tai Lopez Show on Spotify! Click “Follow” and let me know what you think!
“Aside from intelligence, conscientiousness is the best single predictor of work performance.” - Dr. David Buss
(click to tweet)
Points to Keep In Mind
- Try to raise the status of your product
- Speak at conferences, no matter how big or small; reach out to the person in charge and say you will blast your email list
- Host networking events at your house once a month and invite people you want to connect with
- Machiavellianism is a trait in people who pursue in an interpersonally exploitative strategy
- Narcissism is a sense of entitlement and skewed value of others vs. value of themselves (welfare-tradeoff ratio)
- Agreeableness is flexibility, patience, gentleness, and forgiveness
- Conscientiousness is diligence, prudence, organization, and perfection
- High psychopathy scores are void of empathy and impermeable to learning how to improve
- Entrepreneurs score the worst on dark triad tests
- Narcissism is tied to creativity and intelligence
- Biggest red flags in long-term mate: high neuroticism or low agreeableness
- Neuroticism is tied to people who cannot handle stress well
- Surround yourself with people who are most things normal
- The most powerful entrepreneurs are the most normal people
- Personality characteristics are half-heritable, half-environmental
- Watch ads and outline the psychological elements that tap into the 25 cognitive biases
- The Lollapalooza Effect is when so many cognitive biases are being hit that people can’t help but buy
- If you’re product isn’t selling, people aren’t being rewarded enough when being marketed
- Read The H Factor of Personality to learn how to categorize people
- Use Dark Triad Personality Test to find out how people score on machiavellianism, narcissism, and psychopathy
- Narcissism Personality Test to find out which how you score on: authority, self-sufficiency, superiority, exhibitionism, exploitativeness, vanity, entitlement
- Read the 25 Cognitive Biases to learn what elements of human psychology to integrate into your ads