Surviving Depression and Moving Onward with Steve Iselin
Release Date: 05/31/2019
Emily Harman celebrates three years and 199 episodes of the Onward Podcast. Up until recently, Emily never celebrated her accomplishments. And, she felt uncomfortable with the attention. So, Emily’s worked on herself and she’s ready to celebrate. In this episode, Emily talks with several past guests. Also, she interviews Dan Johnson and his wife Erin who wrote and sing the theme song of the Onward Podcast podcast, Quantum Leap. Furthermore, Quantum Leap is dedicated to the brave people in their lives who have shown them that it is possible to overcome obstacles and come...info_outline S4-EP28 Surviving Trauma and Thriving Forward With Joshua Ebalz
In this Onward Podcast episode, Joshua Ebalz talks about how he’s survived trauma and is thriving forward. In the past few years, Joshua survived the unthinkable. Both of his brothers and his father passed away. Furthermore, Joshua shares his story and his belief that even through loss, after loss, after loss, after loss; there is still the chance for you to live your life in a healthy, constructive, hopeful way. Also, overcoming adversity has to come from within. It will not come from someone else. Finally, living your life in the NOW requires you to understand your past and the...info_outline S4-EP27 Holistic Healthcare Tools For Living Your Best Life! With Whitney Erwin
In this episode, Whitney Erwin talks about holistic healthcare tools for living your best life. Whitney Erwin, M.Ed., LMT, has helped Onward Podcast host Emily Harman tremendously in managing her health and depression with holistic options. And, Whitney started her quest into holistic health when she was diagnosed with a brain condition when she was 20 years old and given a 50% chance to live. Now she shares all that she learned, and continues to learn, as she serves her clients. As the founder of Four Seasons Harmony, Whitney provides holistic health and nutrition, clinical herbalism,...info_outline S4-EP26 Accepting Your Greatness with Sparkle Lindsay
My guest, Sparkle Lindsay, is a transformation coach who helps her clients accept their greatness. Sparkle was on her last leg, only waiting to be fired from her job, or honestly, hoping she would never wake up. Then, Sparkle begin to realize that she had to change her narrative. And, in doing that, she left her job and went on a quest to save her life. On the day this episode was recorded, Sparkle was celebrating 3 years of sobriety! Ultimately, Sparkle become a transformation coach. She helps other workaholics, like her, learn to stand by their external and internal boundaries and reinvent...info_outline S4-EP25 How to Soar into Peace, Love, Joy, and Freedom with Dr. Valerie René Sheppard
Dr. Valerie René Sheppard talks about how to soar into peace, love, joy, and freedom in this week’s Onward Podcast episode. Dr. Sheppard is a stroke survivor, self-mastery expert, Certified Master Trainer, and CEO of The Heartly Center™. As such, Dr. Sheppard helps people live with more courage, confidence, inner peace and happiness. And, check out her multi-award-winning, #1 international best-seller, “. Furthermore, Dr. Sheppard is on the Board of The Evolutionary Business Council, and the first-ever recipient of Gateway University’s Barbara Marx Hubbard Outstanding...info_outline S4-EP24 How to Live From the Heart and Intuition with Ulrika Sullivan
Ulrika Sullivan shares how to live from the heart and intuition. Ulrika is a former scientist turned intuitive spiritual life coach, yoga teacher, and energy healer. And, she’s passionate about helping busy women to connect with their intuition, energy, and true selves. Ultimately, they find inner calm, self-love, and life balance which enables them to live from the heart with more ease and flow. At this time so many are looking to connect with themselves via their intuition and true self. And Ulrika helps spark that seed within others sharing subjects and stories of personal...info_outline S4-EP23 Unlock Limitless Wisdom and Creativity with Leonard Perlmutter
My guest, Leonard Perlmutter shares how we can unlock limitless wisdom and creativity by trusting our conscience. Looking outside ourselves for happiness is a useless pursuit, But where can we find the wisdom we need to guide us through the trials in our lives? Leonard is the founder and director of The American Meditation Institute. And his recently released book is a simple, logical introduction to how your mind works. Furthermore, it’s the perfect entry point for anyone who wants to live a more fulfilling life simply by learning to depend on their conscience. Listen to...info_outline S4-EP22 Self Care for Extremely Busy People with Suzanne Falter
Suzanne Falter is spreading the word about self care for extremely busy people. She used to think of self-care as a special treat — something she only bought herself occasionally. And, back then it took the form of a massage or a much anticipated spa day. Also, she always told herself she couldn’t afford it. Because, she had children to take care of, mouths to feed and a business to run. Therefore, self-care seemed like a low priority and a big, fat indulgence. Then Suzanne’s life fell apart. She lost her business. Her marriage ended, And she moved to the other side of the country. Then,...info_outline S4-EP21 Don't F*cking Kill Yourself: A Memoir of Suicide, Survival, and Stories That Keep Us Alive with Jeff Romig
A long time ago, Jeff Romig was asked a simple question: “If you could say one last thing to your dad, what would it be?” And, Jeff only needed four words: Don’t. F*cking. Kill. Yourself. Jeff Romig spent his career learning the ins and outs of community as a journalist, political strategist, nonprofit executive, and fundraiser. And, through each line of his resume, he’s fought a daily battle against his own mind. Furthermore, Jeff wrote Don't F*cking Kill Yourself: A Memoir of Suicide, Survival, and Stories That Keep Us Alive to remind us that the perfect LinkedIn profiles we browse...info_outline S4-EP20 Reiki Reveals the True Self: How Integrative Healing Helps Navigate Life's Challenges with Nicholas Pearson
Nicholas Pearson explains how Reiki reveals the true self and how integrative healing helps navigate life’s challenges. Nicholas is an award-winning author and Reiki teacher. And, he’s been immersed in all aspects of the mineral kingdom for nearly three decades. Furthermore, he began his Reiki journey in 2006 and has trained in traditional and nontraditional forms of Reiki. Also, Nicholas is a Certified Medical Reiki Master and an Animal Reiki practitioner. And, he serves on the Board of Directors of Shelter Animal Reiki Association. In addition, Nicholas offers seminars on crystal...info_outline
Welcome to Onward, hosted by Emily Harman; a new weekly podcast consisting of authentic conversations about facing adversity and moving forward. Subscribe now! In this episode, Emily interviews Steven Iselin, recently retired from his position as the Department of the Navy’s Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Energy, Installations and Environment. Steve shares how depression made him go from feeling like he had it all to being suicidal within weeks. Ultimately, Steve learned how to live with depression. Finally, In this interview he shares strategies and resources he used to improve his mental wellness.
- First, Steve shares his story, beginning in 2000 as a family man under stress as he transitioned from his military career to life as a civilian.
- What happened when Steve planned to end his life?
- How Steve discussed mental wellness with his four children.
- Also, we can all become caregivers by asking the right questions.
- Why does Steve believe that his employer was so patient during his treatment.
- Did his mental illness impact his his government security clearance?
- What happened when Steve’s nephew Danny suffered from depression.
- Steve talks about his involvement with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- Also, learn how Steve learned to live with depression.
- What are some of the statistics in the United States regarding mental health?
- Furthermore, we all need to improve our awareness of mental illness.
- Our mental wellness is just as important as any other aspect of physical wellness.
- Why was Steve more afraid to go to counselor than taking medication?
- Be kind to others because we never know what they are dealing with.
- Instead of asking “How are you doing?”, ask “What’s your number today?”
- Take vacation.
- By sharing his story, Steve is helping others.
- Be proactive - keep on top of your mental wellness before it becomes a crisis.
- Check your family history for mental illness.
- In addition, the rewards of volunteering to help others are tremendous.
5 Key Points:
- Appreciate that we can never be perfect.
- Steve has coped with depression by prescribed medication, cleansing deep breaths, yoga, taking vacations, treating himself, getting good sleep, and being kind.
- 20 million people every year live with depression and one in five people will lose a family member to suicide.
- Instead of asking “How are you doing?”, ask “What’s your number today?”
- We can all be caregivers and early intervention is crucial.
- “When you are in the middle of a depression, you struggle with sleeping, you struggle with eating. Everything gets thrown off.” – Steve Iselin.
- (Suicidal) Either you feel you are a burden, or you feel you don’t belong.” – Steve Iselin.
- “One in ten high school kids will have thoughts of suicide during the course of a school year.” – Steve Iselin.
-“Everyone should think ‘How is my mental wellness’.” - Steve Iselin
- Music composed by Daniel David Johnson, learn more at www.Soulpajamas.com
- Steve Iselin’s Email: [email protected]
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK or text TALK to 741741
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: afsp.org
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: nami.org