Building a 75+ Year Naval Career with Mr. Sarkis Tatigian
Release Date: 07/15/2019
Emily Harman celebrates three years and 199 episodes of the Onward Podcast. Up until recently, Emily never celebrated her accomplishments. And, she felt uncomfortable with the attention. So, Emily’s worked on herself and she’s ready to celebrate. In this episode, Emily talks with several past guests. Also, she interviews Dan Johnson and his wife Erin who wrote and sing the theme song of the Onward Podcast podcast, Quantum Leap. Furthermore, Quantum Leap is dedicated to the brave people in their lives who have shown them that it is possible to overcome obstacles and come...info_outline S4-EP28 Surviving Trauma and Thriving Forward With Joshua Ebalz
In this Onward Podcast episode, Joshua Ebalz talks about how he’s survived trauma and is thriving forward. In the past few years, Joshua survived the unthinkable. Both of his brothers and his father passed away. Furthermore, Joshua shares his story and his belief that even through loss, after loss, after loss, after loss; there is still the chance for you to live your life in a healthy, constructive, hopeful way. Also, overcoming adversity has to come from within. It will not come from someone else. Finally, living your life in the NOW requires you to understand your past and the...info_outline S4-EP27 Holistic Healthcare Tools For Living Your Best Life! With Whitney Erwin
In this episode, Whitney Erwin talks about holistic healthcare tools for living your best life. Whitney Erwin, M.Ed., LMT, has helped Onward Podcast host Emily Harman tremendously in managing her health and depression with holistic options. And, Whitney started her quest into holistic health when she was diagnosed with a brain condition when she was 20 years old and given a 50% chance to live. Now she shares all that she learned, and continues to learn, as she serves her clients. As the founder of Four Seasons Harmony, Whitney provides holistic health and nutrition, clinical herbalism,...info_outline S4-EP26 Accepting Your Greatness with Sparkle Lindsay
My guest, Sparkle Lindsay, is a transformation coach who helps her clients accept their greatness. Sparkle was on her last leg, only waiting to be fired from her job, or honestly, hoping she would never wake up. Then, Sparkle begin to realize that she had to change her narrative. And, in doing that, she left her job and went on a quest to save her life. On the day this episode was recorded, Sparkle was celebrating 3 years of sobriety! Ultimately, Sparkle become a transformation coach. She helps other workaholics, like her, learn to stand by their external and internal boundaries and reinvent...info_outline S4-EP25 How to Soar into Peace, Love, Joy, and Freedom with Dr. Valerie René Sheppard
Dr. Valerie René Sheppard talks about how to soar into peace, love, joy, and freedom in this week’s Onward Podcast episode. Dr. Sheppard is a stroke survivor, self-mastery expert, Certified Master Trainer, and CEO of The Heartly Center™. As such, Dr. Sheppard helps people live with more courage, confidence, inner peace and happiness. And, check out her multi-award-winning, #1 international best-seller, “. Furthermore, Dr. Sheppard is on the Board of The Evolutionary Business Council, and the first-ever recipient of Gateway University’s Barbara Marx Hubbard Outstanding...info_outline S4-EP24 How to Live From the Heart and Intuition with Ulrika Sullivan
Ulrika Sullivan shares how to live from the heart and intuition. Ulrika is a former scientist turned intuitive spiritual life coach, yoga teacher, and energy healer. And, she’s passionate about helping busy women to connect with their intuition, energy, and true selves. Ultimately, they find inner calm, self-love, and life balance which enables them to live from the heart with more ease and flow. At this time so many are looking to connect with themselves via their intuition and true self. And Ulrika helps spark that seed within others sharing subjects and stories of personal...info_outline S4-EP23 Unlock Limitless Wisdom and Creativity with Leonard Perlmutter
My guest, Leonard Perlmutter shares how we can unlock limitless wisdom and creativity by trusting our conscience. Looking outside ourselves for happiness is a useless pursuit, But where can we find the wisdom we need to guide us through the trials in our lives? Leonard is the founder and director of The American Meditation Institute. And his recently released book is a simple, logical introduction to how your mind works. Furthermore, it’s the perfect entry point for anyone who wants to live a more fulfilling life simply by learning to depend on their conscience. Listen to...info_outline S4-EP22 Self Care for Extremely Busy People with Suzanne Falter
Suzanne Falter is spreading the word about self care for extremely busy people. She used to think of self-care as a special treat — something she only bought herself occasionally. And, back then it took the form of a massage or a much anticipated spa day. Also, she always told herself she couldn’t afford it. Because, she had children to take care of, mouths to feed and a business to run. Therefore, self-care seemed like a low priority and a big, fat indulgence. Then Suzanne’s life fell apart. She lost her business. Her marriage ended, And she moved to the other side of the country. Then,...info_outline S4-EP21 Don't F*cking Kill Yourself: A Memoir of Suicide, Survival, and Stories That Keep Us Alive with Jeff Romig
A long time ago, Jeff Romig was asked a simple question: “If you could say one last thing to your dad, what would it be?” And, Jeff only needed four words: Don’t. F*cking. Kill. Yourself. Jeff Romig spent his career learning the ins and outs of community as a journalist, political strategist, nonprofit executive, and fundraiser. And, through each line of his resume, he’s fought a daily battle against his own mind. Furthermore, Jeff wrote Don't F*cking Kill Yourself: A Memoir of Suicide, Survival, and Stories That Keep Us Alive to remind us that the perfect LinkedIn profiles we browse...info_outline S4-EP20 Reiki Reveals the True Self: How Integrative Healing Helps Navigate Life's Challenges with Nicholas Pearson
Nicholas Pearson explains how Reiki reveals the true self and how integrative healing helps navigate life’s challenges. Nicholas is an award-winning author and Reiki teacher. And, he’s been immersed in all aspects of the mineral kingdom for nearly three decades. Furthermore, he began his Reiki journey in 2006 and has trained in traditional and nontraditional forms of Reiki. Also, Nicholas is a Certified Medical Reiki Master and an Animal Reiki practitioner. And, he serves on the Board of Directors of Shelter Animal Reiki Association. In addition, Nicholas offers seminars on crystal...info_outline
Emily Harman, host of Onward Podcast, interviews Mr. Sarkis Tatigian, World War II Sailor and Department of the Navy civil servant. Mr, Tatigian has served the United States of America for nearly 77 years and is still working. Gain wisdom as Mr. Tatigian shares his experiences in the military and how he has managed to live a fulfilling life by incorporating healthy and productive habits into his daily routine. They also discuss Mr. Tatigian’s successful career and the many lives that have benefited from his service.
- Emily Harman introduces Mr. Sarkis Tatigian and reads a statement made in 2017 by Senator John McCain in the Congressional Record honoring Mr. Tatigian.
- Mr. Tatigian shares a near-death experience that occurred when he was 9 years old.
- What does Sarkis Tatigian remember about why Congress passed the Small Business Act?
- What is his secret for being so young in the mind and being in such good shape?
- How did Mr. Tatigian begin his Navy career?
- What is Mr. Tatigian’s’ daily commute to work like?
- How does Mr. Tatigian deal with stress?
- Mr. Tatiguan discusses his frequent check-ups at the Mayo Clinic.
- How does he describe his lifestyle routines?
- What happened after Mr. Tatigian left active duty in the Navy?
- How does Mr. Tatigian view graduation and retirement?
- Mr. Tatigian reminisces about his accomplishments.
- Mr. Tatigian shares a story about how, at age 12, he compared the number of Japanese and American weapons and came to a startling realization.
- Where was Mr. Tatigian on 9-11?
- What advice would Mr. Tatigian give to youth entering the job market?
- Is Mr. Tatigian still learning new things every day?
- How many emails does Mr. Tatigian have in his inbox?
3 Key Points:
- Mr. Tatigian has served over 75 years and is still working. He shares some secrets to his successful career and good health.
- Walking carrying weights and performing balancing exercises in your younger years will contribute to better balance and health as one ages.
- Mr. Tatigian phased red meat out of his diet. He typically eats seafood or poultry with vegetables for dinner.
- “I think a regimented life is more appropriate than to sit around and wait for the day to pass and you haven’t accomplished anything.” – Mr. Sarkis Tatigian
- “You have to maintain an attitude of self-worthiness. In other words, you have to do something to feel that you have accomplished something every day.” – Mr. Sarkis Tatigian
- “I like the term graduation instead of retirement. Retirement kind of gives you the connotation that you are going to leave your job and then sit on your hands and wait for the grim reaper to knock on your door.” – Mr. Sarkis Tatigian
Mr. Tatigian is the Director of Small Business Advocacy, at the Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA). Mr. Tatigian previously held the title of Associate Director, NAVSEA Office of Small Business Programs. Below are links to some articles and a video highlighting Mr. Tatigian’s successful career and contributions to our Nation’s defense.