Why Food Truly IS Medicine and How You Can Attack Chronic Inflammation By Changing What You Eat.
Release Date: 08/22/2018
Dr. Barry Sears is considered the founder of what we refer to as anti-inflammatory nutrition, a diet that is meant to control hormonal and inflammatory responses through specific food and recipes. As a result of his dietary research, he coined the term “Zone Diet,” where the Zone is the state of the body where both inflammatory and anti-inflammatory responses are balanced. He has authored more than forty scientific publications and holds fourteen U.S. Patents in the areas of hormonal regulation and intravenous drug delivery systems.
In this episode, Dr. Barry Sears introduces to us the concept of the Zone Diet and what makes it different from other programs. He explains the science behind the Zone Diet, what inflammation and resolution is and why it’s critical to control both. He also shares why he thinks conventional medicine is not sustainable and why we’re looking at medicine from an obscure viewpoint.
“The way we practice medicine today is totally unsustainable. No question about it.” Dr. Barry Sears
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What led him to author the Zone Diet?
- What exactly is inflammation?
- How does low-level inflammation lead to disease?
- What is idiopathic medicine?
- Parts of the body most prone to inflammation.
- What is the Zone Diet all about?
- Common anti-inflammatory drugs.
- What he would say to those who depend too much on drugs.
- The type of fat you should be eating.
- Why we still need to restrict calories regardless of any diet.
- Our body needs inflammation; the problem lies in not being able to turn it off when needed.
- More people in America die each year from taking anti-inflammatory drugs than dying from AIDS.
- The more we treat food like a drug, the less drugs we need to treat the residual symptoms.
Connect with Dr. Sears:
This episode was sponsored by…
HealthIQ uses science and data to secure life insurance for health-conscious people and athletes including runners, cyclists, strength trainers, vegans, and many more. Learn how 56% of HealthIQ customers receive up to 33% in exclusive savings on their life insurance policies by visiting the HealthIQ website.
Mention the promo code: FitFluential when you speak with a HealthIQ agent to receive your free quote today!
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.