Podcast #378: Is That a Brown Recluse Spider Bite?
Release Date: 09/12/2018
Author: Michael Hunt, MD
- Use the mnemonic NOT RECLUSE to rule out a brown recluse spider bite:
- Numerous bites (recluse spiders will bite once)
- Occurence (recluse bites between April- October)
- Timing (recluse spiders are… get this… reclusive)
- Red (recluse bites are white/pale)
- Elevated (recluse bites are flat)
- Chronic (recluse bites are acute)
- Large (recluse wounds are small)
- Ulceration, early (recluse bites ulcerate between 7-14 days)
- Swollen (recluse bites are flat)
- Exudative (recluse bites are dry)
Stoecker WV, Vetter RS, Dyer JA. NOT RECLUSE-A Mnemonic Device to Avoid False Diagnoses of Brown Recluse Spider Bites. JAMA Dermatol. 2017 May 1;153(5):377-378. doi: 10.1001/jamadermatol.2016.5665. PubMed PMID: 28199453.