PMR #235: The Latest Research on Nutrition and Alzheimer's Disease Prevention with Professor Ríona Mulcahy
Release Date: 10/09/2018
In this episode, we are talking all about dementia, Alzheimer’s, and the studies that are being done to find a cure. We're joined by Professor Ríona Mulcahy, who was involved in conducting a recent 18-month study in Ireland that may have identified a unique combination of nutrients that can slow the progression of Alzheimer’s. This is a very important conversation for anyone who is health-conscious and prioritizes being both proactive and preventative—altering your diet, exercise, and lifestyle habits has benefits at any age.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Multiple risk factors adding to the rise of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Nutritional habits that can reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Professor Ríona discusses the findings in the recent study.
- Understanding The Remind Trial.
- Why patients with age-related macular degeneration had a much higher association with Alzheimer's.
- A combination of supplements that has led to improvements in Alzheimer’s.
- How carotenoids can enhance memory.
- The connection between the supplement being produced and the individuals who conducted the study.
- Altering your diet, exercise, lifestyle habits at any age.
“Good science will always go on and reproduce its results where at all possible.” — Ríona Mulcahy [0:09:27.0]
“We need to take nutrition and exercise seriously, and it is never too early.” — Ríona Mulcahy [0:28:55.0]
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Ríona Mulcahy — http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=1317&n=1318&a=10631
Professor John Nolan — https://profjohnnolan.com/
Memory Health — https://memoryhealth.com/
TILDA — https://tilda.tcd.ie/
MacuHealth — https://www.macuhealth.com/
MacuShield — https://www.macushield.com/
University Hospital Waterford — https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/acutehospitals/hospitals/waterford/
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It's easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you'll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.