95. Staying Calm Under Pressure
Release Date: 11/17/2018
As I grow older, as I, personally, take on new nebulous endeavors, as I train leaders and high achieving men and woman across the nation, one subject comes up more than others. Pressure. Stress. Whatever name you call how you encounter the world you are dealing with.
This week’s podcast is to maybe pass on something relevant from my experiences that will help. And, since, Jill in particular asked me that exact question, I will stumble through an answer.
By the way, my answer will probably disturb the hell out of you. It isn’t intended to but I come from an environment as a SEAL and a combat Vet, and now a turn around consultant, where if you cannot unravel how you perceive the environment you literally will not make it too long.
Pressure is all an interpretation of your environment. That is all it is. How you see or filter your environment is always, always, always divided into 5 parts:
- The reality of the facts coming at you (I must add here that this is really the key to it all). If there were 100 people in the same environment 85 of them cannot even notice the facts; 10 can deal with some of the facts but will get exhausted, and 5 will see exactly what is coming and change everything.
- The level of experience and skills you have acquired in dealing with this type of situation.
- Your emotional background. Now emotion is the second most important factor.
- And what actual tools or things you can bring to bear in that exact moment. Meaning you may have line items 1-3 but if you don’t have the equipment needed then you are stuffed.
- The last one is directed practice. Have you practiced knowing you would encounter this situation. Practice is the turning point of everything and no one practices anymore.
Retired Navy SEAL and Silver Star awardee, Thom Shea, shares his insight on mastering human performance. Through interviews with successful businessmen and women and top athletes, we unravel the mindset and tools needed for extreme success. Learn how to master your own internal dialogue, gain insight from top performers, and engage in weekly challenges.
Take action and begin the challenge of the www.UnbreakableLessons.com
Learn more www.thomshea.com
Pick up your copy of Thom's book Unbreakable: A Navy SEAL's Way of Life