PMR #243: There's More to Fitness Than Exercise — with Dr. Mike T. Nelson
Release Date: 12/04/2018
This week, we welcome Dr. Mike T. Nelson. Dr. Nelson has a PhD in Exercise Physiology, a BA in Natural Science, and an MS in Biomechanics. He’s also an adjunct professor and a member of the American College of Sports Medicine. We chat about all sorts of good stuff, including metabolic flexibility, non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), and the crossover effect. Dr. Nelson also gives us some insight into how he fits all his different commitments into a work week while still finding time for fun and healthy activities. To hear a truly inspiring and grounded interview with an industry giant, be sure to tune in!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Mike’s background, positions, and work.
- How Mike splits his time during a typical week.
- The type of clients Mike works with.
- An introduction the NEAT concept and its difference from regulated exercise.
- The non-linear nature of exercise's efficacy and pushing our boundaries.
- Increasing strength versus maintaining fitness.
- The centrality of sleep and stress relief in any fitness pursuit.
- Metabolic flexibility and how and why to use it.
- Weighing the benefits of different diets for different goals.
- Using carbs and fasting to increase your ability to deal with each end of the spectrum.
- The possibility of permanently damaging your metabolism through extreme measures.
- Taking the longer and slower road to where you want to be.
- And much more!
“To me, arguing about what the best fuel is is the wrong question. When do you want to be using each type of fuel?” — @MikeTNelson [0:35:50.3]
“It depends on what you are trying to do and for what reason, but you do not have to do a ketogenic diet to increase metabolic flexibility.” — @MikeTNelson [0:39:15.1]
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Bonafide Provisions — https://www.bonafideprovisions.com/
Dr. Mike T. Nelson — https://miketnelson.com/
Flex Diet — http://flexdiet.com/
Dr. Mike T. Nelson on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikenelson4
Paleo f(x) — https://www.paleofx.com/
American College of Sports Medicine — https://www.acsm.org/
Jeff Volek — https://www.virtahealth.com/about/jeffvolek
Brooks and Mercier — https://msu.edu/course/kin/812/essay2.htm
Eat Stop Eat — http://eat-stopeat.com
Brad Pilon — https://bradpilon.com/
Marni Wasserman — https://www.marniwasserman.com/
The Ultimate Health Podcast — https://ultimatehealthpodcast.com/
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It's easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you'll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.