Book Vs. Movie "The Wizard of Oz"
Release Date: 01/06/2019
Book Vs Movie
The Margos follow the yellow brick road and my, have their been some changes between the book and movie!
“Toto, I don’t think we are in Kansas anymore.” The Wizard of Oz is filled with some of the most quoted-lines in cinema history along with a truly scary villain and one of the most covered songs ever--Somewhere Over the Rainbow. So how does it compare to the 1900 book written by the enigmatic L. Frank Baum?
The Margos covered this very topic a few years ago and the results were--let’s just say a bit messy. (We had NO idea how to record properly back then!) However, we loved learning all about Baum and the trivia behind the Judy Garland classic film--that we decided to revisit Oz.
This episode is chock full of information, trivia, and tidbits that you can feel free to drop on unsuspecting friends and family at dinner parties in the future. Such as, how heavy was the Lion costume? What did Margaret Hamilton’s agent tell her when she was offered the part of the Wicked Witch of the West? The original color of Dorothy’s shoes from the book? What scenes and songs were deleted from the final version?
So after doing all of this research, which version did we Margos like better? Check out the link below to find out!
In this ep the Margos discuss :
- The interesting life story of L. Frank Baum which includes a rather horrible op-ed piece which he wrote before his career as a beloved writer of children’s books.
- The unbelievable trials the cast went through filming this movie
- Not all critics were impressed by this film in 1939. Just check out this scathing review.
- The excellent cast including Garland as Dorothy, Frank Morgan (Professor Marvel/The Wizard of Oz, etc.) Ray Bolger (“Hunk”/The Scarecrow,) Bert Lahr (“Zeke”/The Cowardly Lion,) Jack Haley (“Hickory”/The Tim Man,) Billie Burke (Glinda,) and the various Munchkins.
- The Wizard of Oz original 1939 trailer
- The Munchkins perform for Dorothy
- “Don’t pay attention to the man behind the curtain” (Frank Morgan)
- The Wicked Witch of the West “melts”
- Outro Music: Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/