Age is just a number: The fantastic success of 77 year old Eric J Smetherman - [Podcast 102]
Release Date: 12/02/2015
What will you be doing when you’re 77 years old? How will you be feeling about life? Ready to settle down? Ready to rest, relax, slow down a bit? Those thoughts are completely foreign to today’s guest, Eric J. Smetherman. It was only four years ago that Eric began his network marketing career after already being retired from his own small business for a number of years. His new business has created a new life that he finds hard to believe and it has given him a new zest for life that has powerfully impacted the way he lives every day. On this episode you’re going to hear Eric’s story, how his success has come about, and how he proves that network marketing is no respecter of age.
What is a “professional network marketer?”
That’s what Eric J. Smetherman says when people ask him what he does. He sees it as a way of saying that he’s serious about his business and wants to do it in a professional way. What he’s most excited about is that he has the opportunity to use his years of experience as a small business owner and his more recent experience in network marketing to coach and empower people to live extraordinary lives and achieve time and financial freedom. It’s something he’s passionate about, which you’ll hear in this conversation he had with David T.S. Wood.
Network Marketing is a personal development business, even for the older set.
AT 77 years old it would make total sense if Eric J. Smetherman saw himself as being beyond the point of taking on new personal challenges. But his entrance into network marketing has stimulated a desire to learn and grow on a daily basis. He’s quick to ask questions, learn new strategies for personal growth and mindset change, and maximize his potential as a person - just as much as he is for his business. He doesn’t see age as a factor at all. Young and old alike are responsible to make the most of their life - which is exactly what he’s doing. His story is an inspiration so make sure you take the time to hear it on this episode of Amplified Network Marketing.
Why would a 77 year old seek out the advice of 25 year olds?
If you ask Eric J. Smetherman that question (he’s 77, by the way) he’d tell you it’s because he’s not through with life yet. There’s lots more to experience and lots more to achieve. He knows that things today are very different than when he owned his small business years ago. He knows that the world operates according to different principles, so he inquires of those who are right at the heart of those changes - the younger set. His testimony is that once he learned the language and interests of those in their 20s and 30s, his ability to talk with them on a level of understanding about the opportunities that network marketing provides increased, and his business success began to take off. You’ll get a lot out of what Eric has to share, to be sure to listen to this episode.
What will you be doing when you’re 77 years old?
It’s really up to you, isn’t it? Eric J. Smetherman would be first to tell you that age doesn’t have to slow you down. He’s living a life that he could only dream of prior to entering the ranks of professional network marketers and he is working hard to encourage others to build a similar life of freedom and time for themselves. What are your dreams? What are you capable of doing? Eric wants you to know that you can accomplish it all, no matter your age. Find out how he’s done it and how you can move in the same direction, on this episode of Amplified Network Marketing with David T.S. Wood.
OUTLINE OF THIS GREAT EPISODE
- [0:31] David’s introduction to the show and why he’s in love with Network Marketing.
- [0:59] Who is Eric Smetherman?
- [1:50] How does a 73 year old feel about hanging out with so many younger people.
- [2:30] Why Network Marketing appealed to Eric as a retiree.
- [4:00] The impact Eric’s company’s products have had on his own health.
- [6:33] Relationships at the heart of Eric’s network marketing business.
- [9:58] Network marketing and the issue of timing.
- [11:09] Eric’s description of what network marketing is.
- [12:26] The importance of growing as a person and how network marketing facilitates it.
- [14:10] The power of each person taking their own individual journey.
- [15:20] How long did it take Eric to get his head around the business?
- [18:17] Why Eric calls himself a “professional network marketer.”
- [20:52] The reasons network marketing is appealing to younger generations.
- [24:43] The lessons Eric has intentionally learned from younger people.
- [27:41] Success at any age is possible through network marketing.
- [29:11] The lessons Eric has learned that new network marketers should know.
- [31:59] Books Eric has learned from.
- [33:19] How Eric uses a vision board in his business and personal development.
- [37:02] Dealing with the peaks and valleys in the business in a way that is helpful.
- [41:58] What Eric would tell himself at the beginning of his network marketing career.
- [42:47] How has network marketing amplified Eric’s life?
RESOURCES MENTIONED ON THIS EPISODE
BOOK: Go Pro
BOOK: The Slight Edge