Nat Cook - Believing You Can: A Story of Triumph from Olympic Gold to Network Marketing [Podcast 118]
Release Date: 04/06/2016
Nat Cook is a 5-time Olympian - winning gold for her homeland of Australia at the Sydney Olympics. She’s no stranger to hard work, conviction, determination and believing you can. Nat spent 20 years as a professional volleyball player, becoming one of the most well-known players the sport has ever seen. She proudly takes her gold medal with her everywhere she goes - believing it was meant to be shared, touched, and appreciated. After volleyball, Nat was left with a question: what comes next? As you’ll hear in this inspiring interview with David, network marketing came next. For Nat, it was a natural transition from the world of competitive sports to network marketing. She shares what the transition was like, some key learnings, and what she loves most about the business.
Why network marketing?
We’ve talked about the many misconceptions that exist about network marketing many times before. For Nat, she never really bought into that mindset. Even when she was playing volleyball, she recognized the value of network marketing and the world of possibilities the business opened up for those who work hard. And so, when an old friend started bringing a business opportunity to Nat, she eventually decided to give it a go. It was clear that many people have a negative perception about network marketing for one reason: it takes work. Nat shares her belief that too many of us today are about instant gratification and - well - that’s not what network marketing is. It takes hard work to succeed, but when you do you can succeed big time.
How do I make it better?
Nat shares the success of her mentor and friend who introduced her to the opportunity and why she believes their business has seen so much success. The key is being a leader. Nat shares why it’s important to lead with integrity and values, and to always focus on building a strong team. She discusses the financial success her friend has seen - in fact, the business she’s built with her husband is on track to make $1.5 million this year. Nat shares why she believes they’ve seen so much success - because they lead with their hearts and they are always present for the team.
If it’s not getting easier, you’re doing something wrong.
For Nat, working hard comes naturally. But, after making a few mistakes in the beginning, Nat started to learn what works and what doesn’t work in building a successful business with a solid team. She goes on to share a key piece of advice she was told early on: if it’s not getting easier, you’re doing something wrong. This resonated with Nat for many reasons, but mostly because it became clear that the business isn’t hard. It takes hard work, but the systems required to build a successful business aren’t difficult to learn.
Biggest learnings in the first year as a network marketer.
In the early days of her business, Nat and her partner went “all in”. Nat hit social media hard, cast a wide net, and started to attract loads of customers. The mistake? She wasn’t focusing on building a team, but was focused on selling products. In doing so, Nat was beginning to lose the authenticity of the business and - most importantly - the authenticity of herself. She gives insight into what she would do differently if she could go back and start over - including what is perhaps the most important thing: she would’ve said yes earlier. Nat is absolutely inspiring and open in sharing a glimpse into why she loves network marketing so much, as well as some key learnings that can help you build your own business.
OUTLINE OF THIS GREAT EPISODE
- [0:36] David’s introduction of his guest, Nat Cook.
- [1:35] How does it feel to be recognized by people and to be a 5-time Olympian?
- [2:40] Nat’s passion after retiring from volleyball.
- [3:58] Winning the first beachball volleyball gold medal for her country, when it was hosted in her country.
- [5:48] The experience of taking photos with the medal, with fans.
- [7:29] The 2 questions she gets asked the most.
- [10:27] Hanging out with David at Dallas Cowboys Stadium, throwing a football around.
- [11:40] Why did you choose network marketing after sports?
- [14:51] The misconceptions about network marketing.
- [17:46] Observing the success of her friends and how the industry has played out for them.
- [20:41] What is the secret to their success?
- [22:22] What have you learned in a year of being in network marketing?
- [26:44] The role of residual income.
- [28:31] Some examples of success stories Nat has witnessed in people after joining the business.
- [31:06] Some books you’d recommend.
- [32:36] A couple of favorite quotes you lean on a lot.
- [33:48] If you were to start over in network marketing, knowing what you now, what would you do differently?
- [36:15] How has network marketing amplified your life?
- [36:59] Nat’s foundation.
RESOURCES MENTIONED ON THIS EPISODE
NAT’S BOOK: Go Girl
BOOK: Go Pro
Nat Cook’s website - http://www.nataliecook.com/