Ep 71: Healing from Birth Trauma with Jennifer Summerfeldt, MACP
Release Date: 02/07/2019
In this episode of Birth Kweens, we’re talking with Jennifer Summerfeldt, MACP about birth trauma. Jennifer is a counselor who has nearly two decades of experience working in maternal health and psychology. In addition to being a counsellor, she’s also been a childbirth advocate, maternal educator, doula, midwifery apprentice, and published writer. She is the founder and creator of the Healing After Birth program, where she uses her expertise and voice to help advance the dialogue on motherhood, mental health, and healing. She is the author of the book Healing After Birth. Here’s what we cover with Jennifer:
- Jennifer’s background and how her own pregnancy and birth experiences led her to the field of maternal mental health
- How to define trauma, specifically as it relates to birth
- Signs and symptoms of birth trauma
- Some theories on why many new parents find it so difficult to identify that they’ve experienced birth trauma and/or reach out for help
- Some misconceptions about trauma
- How to define dysregulation of the nervous system and why it’s an important concept to understand when it comes to healing from trauma
- The relationship between trauma and shame
- How to get started working through a traumatic birth experience when it seems completely overwhelming/impossible
- The important role that meditation plays in healing from trauma
- Find binaural beats on Sacred Acoustics
- Click here to buy Jennifer’s amazing book, Healing After Birth
SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!
Get a great personalized gift from Swanky Badger. Enter code KWEENS at checkout for 10% off!
Sign up for a Fab Fit Fun box today! Enter code KWEENS for $10 off your first box!
If you liked this episode of the Birth Kweens Podcast, tell your friends! And go to iTunes, Stitcher, GooglePlay, and Spotify to rate/review/subscribe to the show. For more from us, visit www.BirthKweens.com to sign up for our newsletter. Follow us on Instagram @BirthKweens, join our Facebook group the Birth Kweens Podcast Community, and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, suggestions and feedback. Also, be sure to click here so that you can support the show while doing your regular Amazon shopping!