"Gut" by Giulia Enders
Release Date: 11/27/2018
Welcome back to Bri Books. If you’re new to the show, leave a of Bri Books on and listen to Bri Books on , and ! Please tell me what you're sipping by using on Instagram, and subscribe to the Bri Books Follow on Instagram for garden tours, growing hacks, and gardening secrets. In this episode, I’m sharing my garden starter hacks, including a gardening method I created myself! This method has taken my gardening and succession planting to the next level when it comes to growing my own food. Follow on Instagram for garden tours, growing hacks, and gardening secrets. I call this my...info_outline 10 Lessons Learned from My First 100 Episodes
10 Lessons Learned From My First 100 Episodesinfo_outline 6 Quarantine Wine Essentials & How to Shop for Wine During COVID-19
How to shop for wine during quarantine, and the 6 wines and spirits you need to keep stocked at all times.info_outline Happy 100th Episode of Bri Books: What's Next?!
In this episode, I'm sharing the Bri Books origin story, changes to the Bri Books vision, and so much more. Thank you for giving me the gift of executive producing 100 episodes, I can't wait to bring you the next 100.info_outline 5 Gardening Tips Every First-Time Gardener Needs to Know
These easy gardening tips and gardening hacks will make your life easier.info_outline How to Bullet Journal Like a Pro
In this episode, I’m teaching you how to bullet journal like a boss. My bullet journaling strategy is easily customizable to fit whatever you need to focus on. If you’ve been meaning to start journaling, now’s definitely the time. I’ll be sharing the steps you want to follow in order to turn any notebook into a bullet journal, and how to optimize your life using bullet journal strategies like daily and weekly logs.info_outline "Insecure" S4, Ep. 10: "Lowkey Lost"
This episode was a WHIRLWIND! Let’s review "Insecure" season 4 finale: Lowkey Lost. We’ll discuss the episode’s overarching theme and recap the major moments. At the end of each episode, I’m going to recommend a #BriBooks recommendation, along with a song of the week & #OOTN.info_outline "Insecure" S4, Ep. 9: "Lowkey Trying"
Let’s review season 4 episode 9 of HBO’s “Insecure”: Lowkey Tryinginfo_outline "Insecure" S4, Ep. 8: "Lowkey Happy"
Let’s review season 4 episode 8 of HBO’s “Insecure”: Lowkey Happyinfo_outline "Insecure" S4, Ep. 7: Lowkey Trippin'
Let’s review season 4 episode 7 of HBO’s “Insecure”: Lowkey Trippin. Spoiler Alert: There are spoilers. We’ll discuss the episode’s overarching theme and recap the major moments. At the end of each episode, I’m going to recommend a #BriBooks read for the main character, name the song of the week and #OOTN--which fit on “Insecure” reigned supreme?info_outline
Today's "Bri Books" is holiday feast-ready. We're discussing "Gut: The Inside Story of Our Bodies Most Underrated Organ" by Giulia Enders. We're mere weeks away from 2019. From now to the end of 2018, our guts will be working overtime. Between work potlucks, family potlucks, holiday parties, our guts are working intensely. This books goes inside (no pun intended) the world of the gut, and I share my "gut checks" and learnings along the way.
- 0:35 - Today's #BriBooks pick couldn't be more appropriate for end of the year as we wrap up 2018…with lots of food. Between now and the end of 2018, our guts will be working overtime. Between work potlucks, family gatherings and holiday parties, there's so much food and stress packed into the last few weeks of the year when our guts are working intensely.
- 3:00 – How Brionna discovered “Gut: The Inside Story of Our Bodies Most Underrated Organ" by Giuliana Enders” while working at ABC News, and general takeaways and first impressions after finishing “Gut”
- 5:00 - Gut Check #1: Giving our small intestines enough vitamins and minerals (by way of nutrient-rich and nutrient-dense food) is a major key to more small intestine success.
- 5:30 – Gut Check #2: Constipation results from a disconnect between the nerves in the nervous system and the muscles of the gut. The gut is ultimately a creature of habit, and if that habit is disrupted by holiday travel or holiday eats, constipation can arise. A great way to re-establish your gut’s equilibrium is to make sure you’re eating fiber and drinking fluids 2-3 days before holiday travel or before major meals.
- 7:45 – Gut Check #3: There’s a link between the gut and the brain. Emotions like fear and stress reduce smooth muscles in the gut, and make it so the stomach can't stretch adequately, and we feel nauseous or anxious after just a few bites. Let’s all work on connecting with our guts and your brains, remaining mindful of seasonal stress.
Bri Books is not intended as a substitute for medical or health advice, and shouldn't be treated as such. A great secondary research for your deep dive into the world of the gut: "Follow Your Gut: The Enormous Impact of Tiny Microbes" by Rob Knight
PS, I’ve shared my bullet journal tips in an IGTV about setting up your bujo is live on @bribookspod and bribookspod.com and bribookspod.com/newsletter. You can follow along with the conversation on Instagram and Twitter using #BriBooks. Subscribe to newsletter bribookspod.com/newesletter!