133: How To Prevent Bad Moments From Turning Into Bad Days with Michael O'Brien
Release Date: 07/15/2019
Michael O’Brien is the Chief Shift Officer at Peloton Coaching and Consulting. He elevates successful corporate leaders by preventing bad moments from turning into bad days. His award-winning, best-selling memoir Shift: Creating Better Tomorrows chronicles his Last Bad Day and near-death cycling accident recovery journey. He has shared his inspirational story and transformation from human DOer to human BEing and work and at home on the TEDx stage, with multiple Fortune 500 companies, the Bergen Record, and many awesome-sauce podcasts.
In this episode we dive into:
- How you can make a shift in your own life without having to go through a tragic event.
- Where Micheal’s desire for more and addiction to achievement actually began and how we rationalize our ongoing chase for happiness rather than focusing on the process.
- Michael’s mindset and formula for preventing bad moments from turning into bad days.
- How you can start making a shift towards a life of Be, Do, Have.
- The secret to stop chasing happiness and become the wealthiest person you know.
- How Michael got stuck on life's hamster wheel, working as a marketing director and playing superhero dad at home.
- Why Michael believes the truck that hit him was literally and figuratively sent to him to stop chasing happiness.
- How Michael used sports in his youth to validate that he was enough.
- Michael's final bad day, and why he decided to change the way he looks at his life.
- How we can be more intentional throughout our days, and practice “showing up” in the way that we want.
- The benefits of a slow morning and taking time to unwind before you even start your day.
- Why our biggest evil is not really stress, but lack of recovery.
- World Bicycle Relief and why Michael chooses to donate a percentage of proceeds from his book “Shift” to this non-profit organization.