Becoming a Professional Mountain Biker with 3-Time Cyclocross World Championship Team Member Crystal Anthony
Release Date: 07/13/2020
Ronetta Francis, candidate for Arkansas State Senate District 1, which is home to businesses such as Walmart joins our podcast.info_outline Women in Politics - Running for City Council
On today’s episode, I’m joined by Gayatri Agnew who is currently running for office seeking to be elected to City Council Ward 1 Seat 2 in Bentonville, Arkansas.info_outline Gen Z Voting in 2020
Sithara is a student and political organizer working to register college voters in Florida. As a UCLA senior planning to graduate next spring with a degree in biology, she's passionate about turning out the youth vote of her peers and making sure young people’s voices are heard.info_outline Elections, Politics, and Life Lessons from a Failed Campaign
On this episode, I chat with movement building expert, and single mom by choice--Amber England. Amber has nearly two decades of experience navigating the political world in Oklahoma. Amber talks about having a career in politics, lessons learned from a failed campaign in 2016, how she thinks about compensation now that she’s a consultant and mom, and how listeners can get engaged starting today with our 2020 elections across the country.info_outline Yoga, Small-business Pivots, and Getting Sober During Covid-19
Lynn Hancock, owner of Yoga Story in Bentonville, Arkansas, joins Talk Bravely to talk about owning a yoga studio, Covid, her mentors, and sobriety. Lynn has been a fitness professional for over a decade focusing on yoga, nutrition, and strength training. But she’s also a business superstar - she was able to flip her business and learn an entirely different skill set in order to stay afloat during a pandemic.info_outline RVing, Camping, and Vacationing During Covid-19
Tuck yourselves in for a podcast all about vacationing during Covid-19 by RV. I’m affectionately calling this episode - TAKE YOUR DAMN VACATION. On today’s episode, I’ll share our family history of RVing, my 3 key messages about traveling the states in a camper, answer some of the most frequently asked questions about travel by RV.info_outline Real Estate Investing and the Financial Independence Movement
Lawyer turned real estate investor Diya Liu joins Talk Bravely. Diya started out as a Big Law attorney but turned to real estate investing and went from $0 to $100k net rental income with vacation rentals in 13 months.info_outline Anxiety, Coronavirus, and the Stress of Work
Today we’re talking about all things related to Covid-19 and the office. If you’re just starting out in your career world and faced with anxiety around physically going back to an in-person work environment this summer, coming to the realization that you may NEVER work in a physical space again with co-workers and have anxiety over remote work, OR are an essential worker who is still looking for ways to keep anxiety about in-person working at bay, you’re in the right spot.info_outline Personal Finance 101: 5 Steps to Start on Your Path to Financial Independence
Personal finance coach, recovering small business owner, nature lover, and investment junkie Luisa Alberto shares her story and her 5 Steps to get started with Personal Finance. Luisa’s entrepreneurial pursuits have involved some very tough lessons. She gets into some real talk on personal finance, building a career starting from her passion, and how she dug out of debt.info_outline Becoming a Professional Mountain Biker with 3-Time Cyclocross World Championship Team Member Crystal Anthony
Professional mountain bike & cyclocross racer for Liv Racing, endurance sport coach, and foodie, Crystal Anthony joins Talk Bravely to share her journey in competitive athletics and competing at the World Championships. We talk all things racing, training, making the decision to leave a steady (and impactful job) and how she finds fulfillment in both racing and coaching others towards their goals.info_outline
On this episode of Talk Bravely, I chat with professional mountain biker and Liv Racing team member Crystal Anthony. Crystal has an AMAZING story of growing up the oldest of 7 siblings in Massachusetts, heading to college for an undergraduate degree in kinesiology and a Masters in Education in Human Development and Psychology from Harvard, and then pursuing mountain bike and cyclocross racing and running her own coaching business.
Crystal currently lives in Northwest Arkansas rides for Liv Racing. She has raced in 12 countries and represented the US 3x at the World Championships
What we’re talking about:
- The honor she had “wearing the colors of the US and representing our country” in the Cyclocross World Championships
- She didn’t start organized athletics until joining the cross country team in COLLEGE and found her passion running long distances.
- How missing the Olympic Trials marathon qualification time by 16 seconds was a moment to reflect and consider training for something else.
- Crystal shares that she was never motivated by becoming a pro racer or making money racing bikes; she was driven to get better and to win!
- What does it really mean to be a pro racer. Make a complete living through racing; gets paid something to race; your only job, regardless of making money, is racing. For Crystal, she gets compensated for racing, but also makes a living through coaching others to their best performance.
- How Crystal made the decision to leave her full time job to pursue racing and coaching full time.
- It was motivating to have 2 passions of teaching middle school and racing on the weekends
- Identity was tied up in both
- Security of a steady job kept her in the job as well as the impact she knew she was having on her students
- Eventually the logistics of managing both became too difficult and it was hard to leave teaching.
- Before leaving her position to pursue biking full time, Crystal made sure she had enough in savings to sustain her for a year and also reached out to mentors. Her community supported her and lifted her up and gave her the courage and knowledge to be self sufficient.
- Liv Racing and how awesome it is to race for them. They support getting more women on bikes and also provide a ton of resources for free on their website.
- How Crystal actually learned to be part of the racing community, developed herself as a racer and nutrition expert, developed her coaching skills, and learned to run a business and market herself to potential sponsors. (Hint: she built a community around her willing to support her)
- She’s a total saver and still has training clothes from 17 years ago.
- How Covid-19 has impacted the racing industry, and how it impacted her recent move to Northwest Arkansas.
- She introduced me to ‘Everesting’ - the idea that you choose a hill and ride your bike up and down over and over again until you reach the elevation gain of Everest at about 29,000 feet. And having completed that athletic feat has put in perspective the "longer" races she had on her schedule for the first time.
Connect with Crystal:
Crystal Anthony Coaching offers everything from 1 on 1 skill lessons to coaching plans to clinics. She loves to work with anyone who wants to get better on the mountain bike! Coaching options are up on her site.
Crystal also posts her recipes on her website: www.crystaljanthony.com
Links and Tips: