Lyme Disease Diet, Testing, and More with Dr. Jay Davidson
Release Date: 03/21/2016
Welcome! My guest today is Dr. Jay Davidson, who is a doctor of natural functional medicine---AND a fellow Milwaukeean! He specializes in heavy metal detoxification and Lyme disease, treating these disorders from a natural perspective. Jay is a #1 national best-selling author, a husband, father, speaker, church elder, and former radio talk show host. He is hosting the Chronic Lyme Disease Summit coming up in April. Let’s talk to Dr. Jay!
Our conversation covers the following:
- Dr. Jay got involved in Lyme disease treatment because his wife contracted the disease at age 7 and experienced brain swelling, a coma, and many health issues.
- After giving birth to their daughter almost four years ago, Mrs. Davidson went through a life or death health crisis; this began his intense focus on Lyme treatment.
- Dr. Jay explains the iSpot, his favorite test for Lyme and a tool for understanding the diagnosis.
- In the healing approach for Lyme, diet and food are #1.
- In 2007, Jay and his wife explored testing for heavy metal toxicity.
- Intermittent fasting and block fasting are techniques that bring success to some Lyme disease.
- His wife reacted to almost every food except bone broth; she eventually added vegetables back in to her diet, especially avocados, green leafy vegetables, and bell peppers.
- Jay discusses three things that cause inflammation in the body:
- Sugar, and grains that turn to sugar
- Bad fats like vegetable oils
- Toxins such as heavy metals and mold
- Besides decreasing the intake of carbohydrates, there are things we should increase in our diets, like healthy fats, vegetable juices, bone broth fasting, and short-term ketogenic diets.
- “Our bodies are not meant to eat ONE way forever!”
- Dr. Jay discusses ketosis, which is limiting carbs to 30g/day or less.
- Perimenopausal and menopausal women have trouble going into ketosis, so Dr. Jay advises repeating the process to stoke the body for success. He explains.
- Some people have success and can stay in ketosis for a few months, as they increase carbs up to 50g/day and even to 100-150g for one day weekly.
- Dr. Jay discusses SIBO—small intestinal bacteria overgrowth. Most digestive bacteria should stay in the large intestine, not the small.
- SIBO symptoms can be limited by using bone broth to starve the bad bacteria and limiting fiber and sugar.
- Jay shares his favorite bone broth recipe, using bones, apple cider vinegar, water, Himalayan sea salt, garlic, onions, and spices.
- If SIBO isn’t a problem, then veggies can be added into the bone broth.
- In the modern diet, going gluten-free is not enough! We all should limit foods that cause blood sugar spikes and stay away from grains.
- Dr. J leaves us with two tips:
- The missing piece in the modern diet? Fresh herbs!
- Cut out sugar! “The American addiction is unreal!”
How to Reach Dr. Jay and more:
www.chroniclymediseasesummit.com See the list of speakers and topics for the Summit, coming April 4-11, 2016!
Sign up for the summit at www.dranh.com/lyme.
Now it’s your turn!
WHAT changes have you made in your diet?
HOW have those changes affected your health?
WHAT has been your biggest challenge while implementing a healthy lifestyle?
WHO do you want to hear from?
Let me know in the comments below and I will try my best to get them on the show! I want to answer your burning questions and for YOU to add your thoughts to the conversation. So go ahead and leave a comment now.
And if you want even more resources to heal yourself naturally, make sure you sign up for my email updates, because I share some insights in my email updates that I don’t share anywhere else.
Thanks so much for stopping by and until next time, remember to eat consciously, because the world needs a healthy and vibrant you!
BECOME A FOOD AS MEDICINE VIP FOR FREE. ENTER YOUR EMAIL BELOW AND RECEIVE:
- My free gift, “The Clean Eating Rules.” It’s my #1 guide for how to eat to lose weight, improve your biometrics, and get more energy.
- Summary of Pearls shared on the show
- Occasional Love Letters from Dr. Anh, where I share my favorite recipes and products, upcoming events, new information I’ve learned, and other goodies ☺