CD198: Rationing the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund
Release Date: 06/17/2019
For 38 years, the United States government has been trying to figure out what to do with the radioactive nuclear waste that was created when the Defense Department developed nuclear weapons and the nuclear waste that continues to be created by nuclear power generation. In this episode, learn the history of this on-going dilemma and listen in on the debate as it currently rages in the 116th Congress.info_outline Thanks-giving Crisis Averted
A "thank you" bonus episode featuring another last minute government funding law (with a Patriot Act dingleberry), a date for this year's Christmas Crisis, and an update on your favorite dizzy podcaster who will soon be looking like Lady Millhouse on a daily basis.info_outline CD204: Why Brexit the EU?
The European Union is a partnership of 28 countries that the United Kingdom has been trying to escape from since 2016. In this episode, we examine the European Union in order to understand the decision the citizens of the UK were asked to make and learn why the United States has become a theme in the Brexit debate.info_outline Thanks for Fighting Facebook
A “thank you” bonus episode featuring an unfortunate resignation, an "impeachment inquiry" update, a Facebook censorship battle, and an business model ethical dilemma. Thanks for supporting the show!info_outline CD203: Scattering Interior
Public land belongs to all Americans and the bureaus of the Interior Department are responsible for balancing conservation and resource extraction on our land. The Trump administration is making some major changes to this important agency which few Americans are aware of. In this episode, learn what their plans are, how those plans are being implemented, and who stands to benefit from the changes. Spoiler alert! Fossil fuel companies will be pleased.info_outline Thank You Elijah
A "thank you" bonus episode featuring a surprise Congressional death, proof of bipartisan warmongering, a NATO expansion, and a long forgotten plane crash. Thanks for supporting the show!info_outline Thanks For Retiring
A Thank you bonus episode featuring information on a congressional resignation, a long list of future congressional quitters, dizzy spells, and a disappearing airline.info_outline CD202: Impeachment?
Donald Trump. Ukraine. Joe Biden. A phone call. Election Interference. Impeachment!info_outline CD201: WTF is the Federal Reserve?
The Federal Reserve system: Most Americans know it's important but most Americans don't know exactly what it is. In this episode, discover the controversial and disturbing history of the Federal Reserve and learn how it has allowed bankers and politicians to create money out of nothing, taking value out of your bank accounts for over 100 years.info_outline Thank You for the Hiatus
We're changing up the format a bit and making the thank you's a separate episode. In this thank you segment that compliments CD201: WTF is the Federal Reserve?, Jen gives you an update on some matters of war and thanks all of the wonderful souls who supported the podcast during the production hiatus.info_outline
The 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund is being rationed due to a lack of funding and an approaching end date for the program. In this episode, learn about the shocking, growing number of 9/11 victims, understand why these victims are in danger of having to bear the financial consequences of their injuries on their own, and examine the details and status of H.R. 1327, the bill that would solve this problem for good. Jamie Kilstein joins Jen for the thank you's.
Please Support Congressional Dish - Quick Links
Click here to support Congressional Dish for each episode via Patreon
Send Venmo payments to: @Jennifer-Briney
Send Cash App payments to: $CongressionalDish or Donation@congressionaldish.com
Use your bank’s online bill pay function to mail contributions to:
Please make checks payable to Congressional Dish
Thank you for supporting truly independent media!
Recommended Podcast Episodes
- Article: Schumer calls for Senate vote on 9/11 victim fund by Jordain Carney, The Hill, June 12, 2019.
- Bill: House Bill 1327 Never Forget the Heroes: Permanent Authorization of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act by 116th Congress, June 12, 2019.
- Article: After emotional testimony from 9/11 responders, House panel votes to replenish victims fund by Devlin Barrett, Washington Post, June 12, 2019.
- Bill: House Bill 1327 extend authorization for the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund of 2001 through fiscal year 2090, and for other purposes. by 116th Congress, February 25, 2019.
- Document: Federal Register Docket: 911 Victim Compensation Fund: Compensation of Claims by Department of Justice, October 3, 2018.
- Article: Former EPA head admits she was wrong to tell New Yorkers post-9/11 air was safe by Joanna Walters, The Guardian, September 10, 2016.
- Bill: House Bill 1786 James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Reauthorization Act, 114th Congress, Congress.gov, June 11, 2015.
- Bill: House Bill 2029 Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2016 by 114th Congress, Congress.gov, April 24, 2015.
- YouTube Video: 911 Airport Hijackers by Mcdlover4, March 23, 2012.
- Article: EPA Regulators Say They've Learned From 9/11 Blunders, but Critics Remain Unconvinced by Jeremy P. Jacobs, New York Times, September 9, 2011.
- Article: Ex-EPA Chief Is Ruled Not Liable for 9/11 Safety Claims by Robin Shulman, Washington Post, April 23, 2008.
- Document: EPA’s Response to the World Trade Center Collapse by Office of Inspector General, August 21, 2003.
- Bill: House Bill 2926 Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act by 107th Congress, Congress.gov, September 21, 2001.
Hearing: The Need to Reauthorize the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, June 11, 2019
- Rupa Bhattacharyya: Special Master of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, Department of Justice
- Dr. Jaqueline Moline M.D.: Chair of Occupational Medicine, Epidemiology and Prevention at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- Lila Nordstrom: 9/11 Survivor
- Anesa Maria St. Rose Henry: Widow of Candidus Henry, Construction Worker and 9/11 Responder
- Thomas Mohnal: Special Agent, FBI and 9/11 Responder
- Michael O’Connell: Retired Lieutenant and 9/11 Responder, FDNY
- Luis Alvarez: Retired Detective and 9/11 Responder, NYPD
- Jon Stewart: 9/11 Responders and Survivors Advocate
YouTube: This is a clip from the documentary: 911, Toxic Legacy which aired on Canadian CBC 9/10.2006, September 10, 2006
Design by Only Child Imaginations