030 - Robert Mohr & Tom Johnson, Aroma Academy Sensory Training for Bourbon
Release Date: 12/08/2015
Robert Mohr & Tom Johnson of Aroma Academy (@AromaAcademyUS) join the podcast to talk about the science behind using olfactory senses to know more about your bourbon and the key aromas.
- How do you store your extensive bourbon collection? Is it like storing wine?
- Give us a quick intro about how you are and how you got into bourbon
- The tagline is “a sensory training for DRINKS PROFESSIONALS” so talk about what is Aroma Academy
- Are the smells common between everyone or does everyone smell something different?
- What are some of the key aromas we get from bourbon?
- Has there ever been a bourbon, scotch or wine that you’ve nosed and you said, “I’m not even going to drink that”
- Talk about your blog post on creating a Pappy Van Winkle nosing sample
- Have you found two particular brands of bourbon that are two polar opposites of one another?
- If someone purchases a kit, is there a 24-hour turnaround time or how long does it take to better develop your olfactory senses?
- Do aromas change based on density levels depending on the type of glass its in?
- Talk about letting the alcohol dissipate after pouring it in a glass before nosing and tasting
- Special 20% discount for Bourbon Pursuit listeners on the 24 Aroma Kit - When checking out, use the coupon code “Pursuit” or visit http://aromaacademy.us/bourbon1/