Podcast #297: Truvada
Release Date: 01/31/2018
- Truvada (Emtricitabine/tenofovir) is a combination nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor that can be used as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV. It has been shown to dramatically reduce the risk of contracting HIV.
- It is used in high-risk patients, like the MSM community or those who are in a relationship with someone with HIV.
- Side effects include nausea, vomiting, headache, and liver damage.
- HIV testing should be performed every 3 months while taking it, since it is not meant to fight an actual infection.
- Since 2012, there have only been 3 confirmed cases of transmission while using Truvada.
- It costs between 50-60$ dollars per pill, but it is covered by most insurances, including Medicaid.
- Generic version has recently been FDA approved.