Blake Donaubauer - Precision, Audio Gear, and Throwing Up
Release Date: 04/29/2018
This episode is all about sound in the entertainment industry. My guest, Mr. Blake Allyn Donaubauer (B.A.D) is a professional Audio Mixer for TV and Film with a lot of set experience and a huge musical background. He started as a Production Assistant in Los Angeles for some years, which allowed him to transition into a career of sound, establishing himself in New Orleans. We talk gear and we talk about how he stayed humble through the entry-level gigs while steadily climbing the ladder toward his passions.
- [1:30] Interview begins - audio levels
- [4:30] Blake’s preferred extra earphones (NOT for mixing but good for extra running and gunning:Boss Sound Sport
- [10:00] Blake's relationship with sound
- [13:00] sound in filmmaking
- [19:15] How to record sound for a walking scene
- [21:00] Blakes’s experience at Berkley College Of Music. Song writing Major, Film scoring.
- [28:00] Moving to LA and working for free
- [32:45] Transitioning into the Film Industry and overachieving as a PA
- [44:00] Dealing with growth
- [48:00:] First-time audio gig. Band: King Lama
- [50:30] BE AWARE of what loud noises that may occur on set. Ask so you don’t kill your ears!
- [55:15] Blake first audio mixing gig (throwing up; Take jobs you are not really qualified to do but know you can get through.
- [57:00] Moving to New Orleans and developing relationships on and off set
- [1:09:30] What type of person is a good fit for the audio world?
- [1:13:00] Novice/Professional mistakes in sound THERE ARE THINGS TO CUT OUT AUDIO PROBLEMS
- [1:15:00] The Killing Fields: How Blake rented his gear out even when he production
- [1::00] When times are tuff financially in the film industry. Getting the next gig.
- [1:27:00] Blake works at doing all he can on set to ensure he gets the best audio
- [1:32:10] Sound resources, gear and tutorials at www.Trewaudio.com, Facebook Freelance sound mixers page.Sound Devices Page, Electronics Customer service is great!
- [1:42:00] Blake mentions some "must haves" onset: These under $100 SONY 7506 head phones compare wonderfully to the over priced ones. Get em here
- [What do you want written on your epitaph?
- [1:46:00] Blake’s last words about the film industry and its intricacies about it. The work that goes into the work is work.
If you like the show, please subscribe!