Issue #73 - "DC Steals from Marvel" (w/ Andrea Stratis)
Release Date: 09/05/2018
In part two of this two-part series we explore times when DC has ripped off ideas and characters and stories from Marvel...As if that's ever happened... But first we talk about the latest news that’s fit to print!
Sponsored by Great Lakes Grooming Co.
Intro Music by Aaron Barry
To ask questions for the next episode, or to continue the conversation online visit us here:
On our Website
Or check out our new store for merch
SHOW NOTES (courtesy of Josh Gill)
News & Notes
(17:26) CW’s Batwoman Has Been Cast
DC Steals from Marvel
(26:07) What are the more subtle character ripoffs? What about from the smaller publishers?
(32:42) Hank Henshaw’s space crew pre-Cyborg Superman, Red Lion, Angor, etc.
(40:35) Weren’t the creators of Swamp Thing and Man Thing roommates?
(47:46) Are there ripoffs/nods that are important to major story lines?
(52:27) John Walker’s Captain America storyline predates Knightfall.
(58:10) Is Harley becoming Deadpool intentional?
(1:01:25) Why do they copy each other? How do they get around copyright laws?
(1:08:41) Which came first, Namor or Aquaman?
(1:14:40) Examples of Jack Kirby stealing or reusing his own ideas.
(1:19:05) Juan Cholo
(1:20:33) Admiral Nationalism
(1:22:50) Mosquito Fella
DC Characters, Places, Things
- Aquaman (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Batman: Knightfall
- Batman Who Laughs
- Batwoman (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Black Racer (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew
- Challengers of the Unknown (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Dark Nights: Metal
- Earth 7
- Earth 8
- Earth 17
- Earth 26
- Earth 35
- Earth 36
- Hank Henshaw (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Harley Quinn (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Jaime Reyes (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Lord Havok (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- New Gods
- Red Lion
- Robotman (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
- Swamp Thing (PreFlashpoint) (Rebirth)
Marvel Characters, Places, Things
- Black Panther
- Fantastic Four
- John Walker
- Moon Knight
- Silver Surfer