A Conversation on Commodification
Release Date: 04/25/2023
Scientifically Proven Quantum Manifestation? Dr. Kim Perkins and Arash talk spirituality and science For the first new episode of 2024 Arash welcomes back one of the Kims (from episode 140) for a fun conversation about the intersection of spirituality and science. In addition to holding the honor of being Arash’s previous housemate, Dr. Kim Perkins is an organizational psychologist with a PhD in positive psychology. Arash and Kim dive into topics often brushed off as 'hippie stuff,' exploring their academic backing and practical applications. The episode closes with a portion of DJ Maxx...info_outline Christmas in Vegas
Episode 148: Christmas in Vegas A Dispatch from Las Vegas with Snarky Santa Arash gets to know a different side of Las Vegas with Randy Winsett AKA Snarky Santa. A father, anarchist, cancer butt kicker and host of Shouting Fire’s SIR Radio, Randy brings a mix of deep insight and irreverent humor to this episode, serving as the de facto co-host for Arash’s Las Vegas adventure. In a conversation at least five years in the making, we'll explore Randy’s roots in Oklahoma, nerd out on that #radiohostlife, explore the Las Vegas Burner community and dissect the existential lessons of cancer....info_outline Sarge’s Orders
Episode 147: Sarge’s Orders Torrey Pines Smith of Sextant fame goes full tech bro Join Arash for a delightful reunion with Torrey Pines Smith, affectionately known as Sarge from Sextant camp. Life's taken some turns for Torrey since his last appliance on Episode 72. He's embraced being family man and launched into entrepreneurial life with his startup, Endiatix. From the dust of BRC to shaping a venture capital firm, Arash explores with Torrey topics of transformation and evolution, wrapped in the spirit of the Burner community. Delve into the world of 'liquid smooth, organic robotics,' a...info_outline Black Astronaut
Episode 146: Black Astronaut Kamal X on love, rage and photography Dive into the world of photographer Kamal X. In this episode, host Arash sits down with Kamal in after as showing of one of his pieces to discuss his powerful book, "Black Astronaut," a culmination of three years of deep work capturing America’s chapter of protest. Kamal shares his experiences of global travel and how these adventures have influenced his approach to photography. The turning point in Kamal's career came from a moment of clarity at Burning Man, which profoundly impacted his life’s direction. The conversation...info_outline Stupider Than Burning Man
Episode 145: Stupider Than Burning Man Bat Country blazes a trail of mischief through Black Rock City Gather for a summit with the infamous Bat Country, a camp that emerged from the dust and has grown into a global community. Arash is joined by Handful, Begley, and Kip as they embark on a journey back to their crew’s beginnings, from the Mad Max-esque early days of Burning Man to the current LED-infused Black Rock City. We’re treated to an array of stories, including their participation in New Mexico’s SunBurn and the founding of West Virginia’s Frostburn. The conversation begins with...info_outline The Burn You Need
Episode 144: The Burn You Need The Super Official Post Burning Man 2023 Official Recap with Halcyon Mud Man, Raining Man, Mud Burn or whichever other remix of the name you’re into, it is pretty much collectively agreed that Burning Man 2023 was a doozy! Arash and Halcyon reunite for their annual post Burning Man recap. Topics include the privilege of getting to attend Burning Man, dealing with mud in the portos, Diplo-gate and how it was definitely better next year. This interview was recorded on September 9, 2023 in San Diego, California hugnation.com Photo by Mark Fromson @autobiographica ...info_outline From Austin to Black Rock
Episode 143: From Austin to Black Rock The Burning Man 2023 Pre-playa Planner with Monday and Maria Gotay Arash is joined by Monday and Maria Gotay to geek out about Burning Man 2023. Monday, a member of the Placement Committee for Burning Man, and Maria, co-leading the massive art project called 1000 Hands, share their anticipation and excitement for the upcoming “Big Burn.” This special annual episode is a must-listen for burners on their way to Burning Man, as Arash, Monday, and Maria exchange ideas on how to make this year's Burn unforgettable with art projects they’re eager to see...info_outline Candids and Consent
Episode 142: Candids and Consent With Texas-based Photographer Mike Whitten Join Arash for a captivating conversation with photographer Mike Whitten, as the two explore the culture of photography at regional Burns and Burning Man. Having recently resettled in Austin, Texas, Mike shares his experiences shooting since the film days and reflects on his 20-year fascination with Burning Man before finally hitting the playa. In this candid discussion (pun a little intended), Arash and Mike delve into the emotional impact of photography and explore some ethical frameworks photographers could...info_outline A Particular Set of Skills
Episode 141: A Particular Set of Skills SDCAP Board President Cable King In this episode, Arash delves into an insightful conversation with Cable King, the board president of San Diego Collaborative Arts Project (SDCAP). As the non-profit organization behind YOUtopia, San Diego's regional Burning Man event, and CoLab, the region's Burner maker space, SDCAP plays a crucial role in fostering the local creative community. With 16 years of playa experience, Cable shares his life journey and offers valuable insights into navigating the challenges of local community leadership. From YOUtopia's peak...info_outline Addiction to Certainty
Episode 140: Addiction to Certainty Psychologists Dr. Mayra Gomez Padua and Dr. Mia Sarno on Burner life and mental health Arash sits with psychologists Dr. Mayra Gomez Padua and Dr. Mia Sarno to explore a Burner community perspective on personal mental health. The discussion taps into just some of the challenges and obstacles folks often face when attempting to access therapy and considers both the providers’ and recipients’ perspectives. Dispelling common misconceptions about what therapy and working with a therapist entails, the trio share some practical ideas with a common theme...info_outline
Episode 139: A Conversation on Commodification with business owners Jon Ray, Dawn Sardinas and Francisco Serna
Arash is joined by a group of talented business owners who are passionate and active contributors to the Burning Man community. Entrepreneurs Jon Ray, Dawn Sardinas, and Francisco Serna share their perspectives and reflections on how to balance thriving in their respective businesses while upholding the ten principles of Burning Man. This roundtable discussion offers tips and reflections on how to integrate these two important aspects of life while staying true to oneself.
Episode 139 also features a Deep House Yoga set from a friend and supporter of the Burner Podcast team, Kennos. The DJ set recording, which took place at Miki Beach during Burning Man 2016, is a captivating mix of percussion and flowing energy that will transport you back to a late morning on the playa.
Don't miss this fun and inspiring episode that offers practical tips and wisdom on how to pursue professional goals while staying true to the principles of being a good burner.
A lot of links for this episode!
- This episode was recorded at Mid Century Store, owned by Blake and Dan Reeves. Dan was the lead artist of The Journey Project and served on the SDCAP board. He also appeared on episodes 59 and 123 of this podcast.
- Mid Century Store, owned by Blake Macaluso and Dan Reeves: https://www.midcenturystore.com/
- The Journey Project: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=887157681432583
- Burner Podcast episodes with Dan: http://www.burnerpodcast.com/previous-episodes/category/dan-reeves
- Paint Green: Jon Ray's business, Paint Green, is a local San Diego company that provides environmentally safe painting services.
- Previous Burner Podcast episode featuring Jon Ray: http://www.burnerpodcast.com/previous-episodes/episode-46-the-road-to-youtopia
- Outfits and Oddities: Check out the Outfits and Oddities Facebook page for some wild fashion inspiration.
- The Punkin Project: Dawn Sardinas, along with her partner Wylie, created The Punkin Project, which features a 15+ passenger 4WD steampunk pumpkin stagecoach with rock crawler suspension.
- SD Fabrication Solutions: Check out Wylie Weldy's business, SD Fabrication Solutions. Yes, his name is really Wylie Weldy.
- Dome Asylum - Dawn and Wylie’s property in Ramona, CA
- "Phoenix Syndrome" photography show, which show supported by Dan Reeves and Blake Macaluso.
- And Arash's own freelance photography gig, an example of business referred through the community:
- Kennos Soundcloud page featuring the set played in this episode: https://soundcloud.com/earofkennos/mikimau-deep-house-yoga
- The massive photo of Kennos referenced was a part of the Black Burner Project by visionary artist Erin Douglas
- Miki Beach: https://soundcloud.com/mikimaumusic and https://www.mikimaumusic.com/
- Miki Beach: Finally, we'd like to give a shoutout to Miki Beach, who provided the location for Kennos' Deep House Yoga set. Check out their Soundcloud page for some more amazing music.
- And finally… The video of Master Dawn Sardinas breaking boards in high heels back when she was a taekwondo instructor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLnmAGbNL4
"A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor. Welcome and entertain them all"
Hosted by (mr)Arash, the original Burner Podcast is the longest running traditional audio podcast in the extended international community of Burning Man. Independently produced and focused on burner consciousness and topics of intracultural interest, explore over 130 previous episodes at burnerpodcast.com/previous-episodes.
Burner Podcast host Arash Afshar is an Iranian-American SoCal-based professional photographer and founder of Justified Hype creative collective. Receive monthly very personally written email blasts from him or reach out directly at mrarash.com/hello.