Strong Heart, Sharp Mind with Marwan Sabbagh MD
Release Date: 03/21/2022
A familiar guest rejoins us for the show! Marwan Sabbagh MD is currently a professor of Neurology at Barrow Neurological Institute and a leader in Alzheimer's disease diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Sabbagh and his bestselling co-author and heart disease survivor, Joe Piscatella reveals new hope for treating and preventing these heart, blood vessel, and brain diseases like Alzheimer's with their new book, Strong Heart, Sharp Mind.
We discuss how, for the first time in his career, Dr Sabbagh is starting to see people with very early Alzheimer's hold the symptoms at bay. He attributes, in part, to the development of new medications for Alzheimer's (listen to podcast episode #64) as well as the adoption of principles of a healthy lifestyle and specific new blood tests such as homocysteine to assess the risk of heart and brain diseases.
The new book outlines 6 Key Principles to improve your brain, blood vessel, and heart health
1) Incorporating exercise into daily activities
- Check out the broomstick kayaking idea (very clever)
2) Transforming the American diet into a healthful way to eat
- Think about habits not diets or "fad diets."
- Trusted info from:
- Nutrition Action,
- the Berkeley Wellness Letter
- the Tufts Newsletter
- "even modest adoption of the MIND diet approach, such as eating two vegetable servings a day, two berry servings a week, and one fish meal a week, appeared to lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease."
3) Building a healthy sleep regimen
4) Managing stress, anger, and anxiety
- great section on anger and your health
5) Creating opportunities for cognitive stimulation
6) Bolstering your social support system
To learn more about your assessment options for prevention or treatment of cognitive issues or Alzheimer’s contact Kemper Cognitive Wellness in Cleveland, Ohio.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (216) 337-1400.