002 Free Yourself from Harmful Business Comparisonitis
Release Date: 05/22/2019
I have an inner business demon. She’s prone to strike when I least expect it and when she does, she really knocks me off my feet. I’m talking about business comparisonitis.
Have you heard of that?
Most of us are aware of the basic comparison premise in our day to day lives; comparison is “a consideration or estimate of the similarities or dissimilarities between two things or people.”
What we sometimes forget is that comparison can happen to us anywhere and it’s quite prone to occurring at work, especially during periods an intensive push to further ourselves and our achievements. In business I have found it even more prevalent.
Here are some signs business comparisonitis may be affecting you;
- You continually ask yourself ‘why am I not doing as well as _?’
- You regularly scrutinise your competitors’ products
- You regularly check what your competitors are saying on social media, how they take their photos, how many likes they have and the comments from who you think are buyers.
- You spend way too much time on a competitor’s stall at a show, or their website looking for their secret sauce to success
- You pick apart competitors instead of holding them up as inspiration
- You feel sick when you see their shop updates sell out quicker than yours
- This results in you wanting to give it all up
I can guarantee that at some point as a small business owner you have fallen into this trap. Today on the podcast we are going to work through how to free yourself from this toxic behaviour.