2a. An Open Letter to My Shadow Dad - UNEXPECTED WISDOM - THE LESSONS!
Release Date: 04/01/2020
For the last 17 years I’ve actively practiced a ritual of keeping/archiving at least one airline bag tag + one room key from every business-related trip. I had a custom case designed to store & display the plethora of precious keepsakes! + W.H. Murray - COMMITMENT Quoteinfo_outline 14. Your Destiny Is Outside Of Here…
Phil Knight’s words to me in 2004 when I told him that I was torn between pursuing what I believed to be my higher purpose or staying at Nike. My extraordinaireinfo_outline 13. The Man Who Builds Bridges
- An interview, playing a weekly game of TAG, a community youth event + an unexpected feature story in the Oregonian create the possibility of embarking on a new journey.info_outline 12a. Unexpected Wisdom: “the first 60-90 days...”
- “The first 60-90 days at a new job... always listen more & speak less.” - Words of advice from Peter Ruppe when I came to Nike. His advice proved to be incredibly insightful.info_outline 12. Trenton + Spike Lee + "H" White = Katalyst”
“Trenton + Spike Lee + "H" White = Katalyst” - Summer of 1995 in Trenton, New Jersey, at Nike’s “Believe To Achieve” event where my encounter with Howard “H” White sparked the next unexpected chapter in my KARAYZEE journey.info_outline 11. Bouncin’ That Ball Will Get You Nowhere…
My infatuation with basketball “bounced” me into realizing an audacious childhood fantasy/dream of being in the NBA. In 1995 that crazy goal manifested in a way that I could have never scripted! Simple Truth: HATERS ARE MY MOTIVATORS!info_outline 11a. Unexpected Wisdom: “Hard work never goes unrewarded.
The words that I heard from Avery Johnson in 1994, he was a standout player on the San Antonio Spurs. It’s my belief that doing tasks that might be considered menial and not glamorous (aka THE LONELY WORK) are necessary for success. You gotta TRUST & BELIEVE that hard work NEVER goes unrewarded!info_outline 10. Here!
– The single word that Coach Mac spoke before tossing me the keys to the training room at The Haverford School - my first job as an athletic trainer. That moment catalyzes a series of fortunate + serendipitous events.info_outline 9. Tape Scraps, Water cups, and I won't tell you...NO.
– The summer of ‘86 in San Angelo, TX proved to be the genesis of my journey of learning that if I want something bad enough, I have to be willing to pay my dues.info_outline 8. Sir, I don't want this job!
– an early childhood lesson from my Mom-Mom gave me the courage to brazenly speak up on career day at USAF basic training & that decision changed my military career + my life’s journey.info_outline
These are the simple truths/simple LESSONS that I learned from the eclectic group of men from my childhood who “raised” me - I am a mosaic of ALL these men!
“how you do the little things... is how you do all things!”
hustle - ALL DAY ‘ERY DAY!
pick each other up - I Got You!
“don’t you EVER let somebody take your heart!
“WE are built different here!”
“Don’t be on time, be EARLY.”
“If you ain’t willing to do it well, don’t bother to do it at all.”
“I’ve seen a lot of things in my day, but I know there’s something new to see every day so, stay curious.”
ALWAYS being true to yourself.
The power of building relationships.
“you are the company you keep.”
know thy self!
be courageous in a difficult situation.
seek out global experiences.