107: Live with Less and Experience More with Joe Hawley
Release Date: 04/15/2019
Joe Hawley is the founder of the Man Van Dog Blog and creator of Simpl, which delivers on the go snacks that provide fuel, curb cravings, and boost energy. Joe is a former NFL lineman that retired after spending 8 seasons in the NFL, splitting his time between the Atlanta Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Joe is one of the few professional athletes that made the decision to walk away from the game on his own terms, after the game he fell in love with started to become a business and slowly started to take its toll on his body and spirit. But, football was not only what he did, but also who he was...his entire identity was wrapped up in the game of football.
He felt the need to rediscover who he was away from the game. He got rid of most of his possessions, bought a van and hit the road with his dog Freedom. He traveled 20947 miles, visited 24 states, visited 12 stadiums around the country and took in the scenery in 6 national parks. He is all about living with less so he can experience more.
In this episode we dive into:
- Joe’s career in the NFL and how he used his first 5 years with the Falcons to cultivate the success he had with the Buccaneers.
- How Joe developed the positive mindset needed to persevere through the ups and downs in his football career.
- How to start changing your internal dialogue to match the things you want to attract externally.
- Joe's retirement from the game of football, and how that led him to the decision to buy a van and travel around the U.S.
- How a simply Netflix documentary was the initial inspiration to start living a minimalist lifestyle.
- Why Joe believes you should fill your life with experience over things.
- Why Joe does not actually miss the game of football and why he is grateful he had the opportunity to leave the game on his own terms.
- The message that Joe wants to spread across the country as part of his travels.
- The importance of leaning outside of our comfort zone and exploring the opportunities that scare us.
- Why he keeps death at the forefront of his mind and why he believes in living with no regrets.
- The importance of keeping a routine and meditating everyday and how he uses these practices to reduce stress and build willpower.
- Why we should clean up our timelines on our social medias and be conscious of our internet space.
- Joe's ketogenic diet and why he has sworn by it for the past year, physically and mentally.
- The inspiration and motivation behind his new company “Simpl”, and how it is going to revolutionize the snacking industry.