The Importance of Design in Sport with WORKS’ Roy Webber
Release Date: 04/12/2019
Roy Webber is the Co-Founder & Chairman of Works, a global design agency specialising in sport and entertainment. The company was formed in 1989 in Leeds, UK and continues to grow its international portfolio with offices in Brazil, the USA, China, Middle East & now also in India (as a channel partnership with The Social Street). The agency has worked on the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, 2014 Brazil & 2010 South Africa, 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada, 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup France, and eight UEFA Champions League Finals to name a few.
In this week’s podcast, we speak to Webber to discuss:
- What are two elements that are critical/important to designing a global sports brand?
- What are the challenges of designing for sports events in developing countries? Eg. Imagery sensitivities, colour schemes, etc Any interesting anecdotes?
- What are some of the lessons that the popular sports (eg. football) learn from the lesser popular ones (eg. Volleyball), and vice versa?
- Your most memorable campaign? And why?
- Works and Social Street will be working on one of the most underrated sports' in India - the Boat Race. Why did you want to be part of this property?