The world stops spinning on its axis when dementia surfaces within the family – join NoosaCare's DementiaLiving Team as they dive into dementia to show you and your loved ones that there is still a life worth living after a diagnosis of dementia.
info_outline 22. DementiaLiving- Investigating Problems Surrounding Sleep 11/21/2018
22. DementiaLiving- Investigating Problems Surrounding Sleep Today Cassie & Christine talk about investigating issues surrounding sleeping. Problems with sleeping are common for people living with dementia which can often lead to carers also having sleeping issues. On the podcast today Cassie & Christine provide you with the investigation powers to recognise what may be going on followed by the tools that may improve quality of sleep. Enjoy the podcast!
info_outline 21. DementiaLiving- Strategies to Support Healthy Eating 11/14/2018
21. DementiaLiving- Strategies to Support Healthy Eating Today on DementiaLiving Christine and Cassie discuss strategies to support healthy eating. Loss of appetite, loss of memory and problems with judgement can cause difficulties with eating and nutrition. Cassie and Christine discuss ways to assist your loved ones with maintaining a healthy diet. Enjoy the podcast!
info_outline 20. DementiaLiving- Strategies For Carers to Reduce Showering Challenges 10/11/2018
20. DementiaLiving- Strategies For Carers to Reduce Showering Challenges Today on DementiaLiving Christine and Cassie talk about strategies they use to assist carers during showering. It can be common for people living with dementia to lose interest in hygiene especially when they find it difficult to communicate their concerns. Listen in to receive some great advice on how you can support your loved ones or residents living with dementia with respect, dignity and empathy. As Christine says ‘investigation is your foundation’. This podcast is well worth listening into.
info_outline 19. DementiaLiving- Passion and Purpose = NoosaCare’s Dementia Friendly Community Advisory Board 09/27/2018
19. DementiaLiving- Passion and Purpose = NoosaCare’s Dementia Friendly Community Advisory Board DementiaLiving talks to the delightful Julie Huntley. Julie is a woman who is thriving on passion and purpose as she contributes her incredible knowledge based on her own personal experience to NoosaCare's Dementia Friendly Community Advisory Board. Julie talks about her experience with her mum & the amazing care she receives in Brisbane, some support tools she has created so that healthcare teams can connect with her mum on a more personal level & her vision going forward for those living with dementia.
info_outline 18. DementiaLiving- Shining the Light on Noosa Community Support 08/31/2018
18. DementiaLiving- Shining the Light on Noosa Community Support Today on DementiaLiving we talk to the delightful Angela Kraushaar from Noosa Community Support (NCS). NCS offers centre-based day care to our local community and this is only the tip of the iceberg in what they can do to support you through challenging times. The principle of wellness and reablement underpins the work at NCS – the team believes that everyone has the potential to improve their lives no matter the circumstance.
info_outline 17. Dementia and Living- A Personal Carers Journey into Aged Care 08/22/2018
17. Dementia and Living- A Personal Carers Journey into Aged Care Today on DementiaLiving the team talks to Peter John Bird. Peter shares his unique journey that lead him to working at NoosaCare as a personal carer. Enjoy listening to this most humble gentleman.
info_outline 16. Dementia and Living- Life in NoosaCare's Memory Support Unit 08/09/2018
16. Dementia and Living- Life in NoosaCare's Memory Support Unit Today the DementiaLiving Team talk to Leonie Quin who works in NoosaCare's Memory Support Unit. Leonie has been a registered nurse for over 50 years with 20 of those at NoosaCare - wow!
info_outline 14. Dementia and Living- Planning For Your Future from a Financial and Health Perspective 07/20/2018
14. Dementia and Living- Planning For Your Future from a Financial and Health Perspective Today Danah and Cassie talk with Melissa Argent, the Regional General Manager - Healthcare Westpac. Whether you are caring for someone with dementia or considering aged care, this podcast has something for you. Decision making in advance has legal, medical and social implications. It is about relationships, communication and families.
info_outline 13. Dementia and Living- Resilience Through Strength No Matter What the Age 06/22/2018
13. Dementia and Living- Resilience Through Strength No Matter What the Age Today Sandra talks to Leigh Stalker. Leigh is director & head coach at the popular Noosa Strength Centre where he proudly takes a complete, rounded, holistic approach to your health and fitness and combines this with sustainable training methods, stress management and nutrition proprieties, to help you be in the best shape you can be.
info_outline 12. Dementia and Living- Prescribing Creative Interests For People Living With Dementia 06/13/2018
12. Dementia and Living- Prescribing Creative Interests For People Living With Dementia Today Sandra talks with Annette Innis, a Sydney based artist whose personal practise specialises in figure paintings and portraits. Annette also works in the arts and health sector, exploring the positive impact of art on health and wellbeing through her involvement with participatory art programs. In 2017 Annette released her first book “Colours of yesterday: A creative colouring book for older people”. You can purchase Annette’s book on www.annetteinnis.com
info_outline 11. Dementia and Living- Q&A 06/11/2018
11. Dementia and Living- Q&A Questions and Answers with Sandra Gilbert. This podcast is designed to answer the questions sent in by listeners. To receive advice please email Dementia and Living Coach Sandra Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, please ensure you include your name, state and country.
info_outline 9. Dementia and Living- Saying Yes to Help 05/15/2018
9. Dementia and Living- Saying Yes to Help Today Sandra talks with Kristy Rackham, RN founded My Holistic Nurse to help people deal with and heal from the debilitating emotional and mental struggle, and lifestyle impact that living with a chronic condition can have on the patient, their family and friends.
info_outline 8. Dementia and Living- Activities for People Living with Dementia 05/09/2018
8. Dementia and Living- Activities for People Living with Dementia Today Sandra talks with Christine Slavin who is an Activity Carer at Noosa Care and has huge tips on activities to do with people living with dementia…any day…anytime. Christine has a gift for knowing what people know and what they love to do…listen in for some fabulous ideas on things you can do for people living with dementia.
info_outline 7. Dementia and Living- Navigating Placement into Residential Care 05/02/2018
7. Dementia and Living- Navigating Placement into Residential Care Today Sandra talks with Andrea Messer who is the Client Services Officer for NoosaCare. Sandra and Andrea discuss the challenges of admitting someone into residential Aged Care. It can be a stressful time with lots of hoops that you need to jump through so hopefully, today's interview will help you with that process. Although the information is for Australian residential aged care, there are some great tips that anyone can use.
info_outline 6. Dementia and Living- Benefits of Gardening 04/25/2018
6. Dementia and Living- Benefits of Gardening Cath Manuel is a Horticulturist, Consultant and Educator specialising in Organic Gardening and Horticultural Therapy. Cath is the Founder and Director of Soil to Supper which provides services and programs nationally and internationally through the Soil to Supper Membership Community and Education Program. She is also the host of The Wellbeing Garden Podcast Program.
info_outline 5. Dementia and Living- Dementia Does Not Discriminate 04/19/2018
5. Dementia and Living- Dementia Does Not Discriminate David Truswell is from Culture Dementia in the UK. He has worked in community based mental health services in the UK for over thirty years developing services for people with complex care needs, like dementia and his career has spanned the voluntary sector, local authority services and the NHS. Today Sandra talks to David about how Dementia does not discriminate and the additional challenges minority groups experience after a diagnosis of dementia.
info_outline 4. Dementia and Living- Carers & Grief 04/18/2018
4. Dementia and Living- Carers & Grief Dr Patricia Shuter has two Masters’ degrees (research and coursework) in health promotion, and a PhD specialising in dementia caregiving. Her thesis examined potential predictors of, and protective factors for, complicated grief and its correlation with health outcomes in primary family caregivers of people with dementia. Today Sandra talks to Trish about her thesis and how the carer can experience grief even when the person experiencing dementia is still alive.
info_outline 3. Dementia and Living- Food & Living with Dementia 04/17/2018
3. Dementia and Living- Food & Living with Dementia Cherie Hugo is a dietician and founder of The Lantern Project a National collaboration designed to bring back the joy of good food in Residential Aged Care Facilities. Today Sandra talks to Cherie about some of the challenges people living with dementia may have when it comes to food.
info_outline 2. Dementia and Living- Challenges for Carers 04/12/2018
2. Dementia and Living- Challenges for Carers Jacqueline A Hinds is an Emotional Intelligence Coach, Leadership Consultant and has worked with the national Healthcare services for over 10 years in two of the largest merged healthcare organisations in the UK and Europe. Today Sandra talks to Jacqueline about Emotional and Cultural Intelligence and the impact these can have on a person living with dementia. They also discuss how caring for someone living with dementia can be incredibly rewarding but it can also be incredibly challenging.
info_outline 1.Welcome to Dementia and Living- Sandra Gilbert's story 12/07/2017
1.Welcome to Dementia and Living- Sandra Gilbert's story Sandra Gilbert shares her personal experience with someone living with dementia. This observation led her to a 30 year nursing career working with people living with dementia. Sandra shares why she started a podcast to prevent the feeling of isolation after a diagnosis of dementia and her vision of the podcast going forward.