The Anchored Business Podcast
This is a creative entrepreneurial podcast helping you to grow your business and create the life style you have always wanted. We are wedding photographers that grew our business to over $400K a year and over 100 weddings all over the world.
info_outline 88. Sho Baraka - Racism, Culture & the Arts 07/02/2020
88. Sho Baraka - Racism, Culture & the Arts is one of my favorite Christian Rappers. His lyrics and raps are on a WHOLLEE different level but not only that, he is passionate about black history and expressing the oppression of black people in our country. We talk about race, religion, culture, and the arts!
info_outline 87. Raw & Real - Racism and Culture 06/15/2020
87. Raw & Real - Racism and Culture On this episode, I talk with Teshorn and Reytheda Jackson, Toni Black, and Chip Dizard. We get real about what it's like to be a person of color in the photography and planning industry. Each person I talked with shared their own personal experiences and stories. These are REAL people with real families and lives. And these are the hard conversations that we need to be having. I encourage you to listen. Hear what they have to say, and take it to heart. A good place to start is reading this about solidarity from Toni's blog. They are each so incredibly talented at what they do! You can check out their work here:
info_outline 84. Dylan Howell and Corey Potter - The SEO Experts 03/15/2020
84. Dylan Howell and Corey Potter - The SEO Experts I really enjoyed interviewing Dylan and Corey. These guys really know their stuff! I personally have their SEO course and have learned so much. Everyone talks about SEOs and wants to use them, but so many people don't actually know how. Dylan and Corey give great advice on how to use SEOs to generate traffic to your website. (SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization). Google is generally the search engine people think of most often, but YouTube is actually a highly used search engine that a lot of people don't take advantage of. Dylan and Corey give some great advice on using YouTube to your advantage. They also talk about important aspects of building a website or blogging to keep in mind when thinking about SEOs. We also spend time talking about backlinks and getting on websites that have authority and the way that Google works as a search engine. You can join Dylan and Corey's facebook group . You can find out more about the SEO course Check out the post for the What The Gram Photos
info_outline 83. Raw & Real - Failure & Insecurities as an Entrepreneur 03/11/2020
83. Raw & Real - Failure & Insecurities as an Entrepreneur This past week I launched a course, and I felt a lot of failures and insecurities. I think these are normal things that people don't talk about as business owners, but they are very real and can be very hard to deal with.
info_outline 82. Steve Saporito - Creating Meaningful Connections 03/09/2020
82. Steve Saporito - Creating Meaningful Connections Wow. Steve Saporito is just incredible! He is so passionate about PEOPLE.... what makes them who they are, and how they relate to and see others around them. Photographers are in a unique position to help clients create connections between themselves and their families and friends. He teaches photographers to really get to know their clients, so that they can capture the essence of who they are in the photographs. Ask them questions, find out why they chose their fiancé to be the one they want to spend the rest of their lives with, what makes their mom or dad special to them, what qualities do they see in their children... These things help make you a better photographer and allows you to capture them and what they are looking for in their pictures. There are so many more great things to take away from this episode! Definitely give it a listen and go look Steve up at Also, Tuesday March 10th is the last day to get my . It is packed full of practical information to help you grow your business and be a successful wedding photographer. You don't want to miss out! I'm not sure when the course will be opening again, so don't miss your chance to get it!
info_outline 81. Ashlyn Carter of Ashlyn Writes - Use Your Words 02/24/2020
81. Ashlyn Carter of Ashlyn Writes - Use Your Words Ashlyn has so many amazing things to share on this episode! I am so thankful that she is willing to be open and vulnerable and share some of her experiences and how she overcame them. Ashlyn took a leap of faith in starting her business and sought advice and counsel from other people in the business. They helped her find the 'Ashlyn shaped hole' in the photography industry. Ashlyn found her place in copyrighting. She helps creatives use their words in addition to their content to draw people to their websites and generate the kind of clients you are looking for. She has some great tips on how to build your website and make it flow so that people can find what they are looking for and see themselves in your story. It was such a pleasure getting to chat with her and get to know her and her business a little better. She is definitely someone you're going to want to follow! You can find Ashlyn at: And, as always, we'd love to have you join our To see the What The Gram photos, head over to our
info_outline 80. Associates - Building a team & is it right for you? 02/21/2020
80. Associates - Building a team & is it right for you? On this episode, we do a facebook live in my group and talk about having associates on your team and if it's right for you and your brand & business!
info_outline 79. Scott Wyden Kivowitz - Using Lead Generation Successfully 02/17/2020
79. Scott Wyden Kivowitz - Using Lead Generation Successfully I learned so much from talking with Scott in this episode! He has so many great lead ideas for all different types of photographers. I like how he said that you want to make it attract and attractive. I'm excited to use some of his tips myself to generate more leads. Scott also talks about how he only does photography part time. This is so refreshing! That you can still be involved in something that you love, but it doesn't have to be your sole source of income and your only job. Scott is super practical, he doesn't like events, so why would he have a full time job where he has to always attend events? I think it is so important to know yourself and find ways to do the things that you love in a way that doesn't burn you out or force you into situations that you wouldn't typically enjoy anyways. Scott is able to be selective about the clients that he accepts. He also networks with other photographers to refer clients to, therefore building good relationships with both other photographers and clients. There are so many other great things to say, but you should definitely just hear it from Scott himself and check out this episode! Don't forget to check out the for the What the Gram pictures. Scott has generously offered 25% off of his ebooks, presets, courses, and membership using the code anchored. You can find Scott at:
info_outline 78. The Brothers Martens - Innovators in the Industry 02/10/2020
78. The Brothers Martens - Innovators in the Industry I had such a great time talking with Bradford and Henry (Hank) Martens! Bradford is the photo side and Henry is the cinematography side of The Brothers Martens, and they are both crazy talented! They are super innovative and are changing their industries in amazing ways. They have great advice, so you're not going to want to miss this episode. They are also just really fun guys... the What The Gram segment of this podcast was so interesting! Make sure you check out the pictures on the . You can find The Brothers Martens at on Facebook at The Brothers Martens and on Instagram @TheBrothersMartens. They also speak at various conferences. Make sure to go check them out!
info_outline 77. A HUGE Announcement and Why I am Passionate about Teaching! 02/07/2020
77. A HUGE Announcement and Why I am Passionate about Teaching! On this episode I announce which is the greatest joy of my heart to be able to give to our industry. Listen to why I love it and check it out here!
info_outline 75. Bernel Westbrook - The Dos and Don'ts of Branding 02/03/2020
75. Bernel Westbrook - The Dos and Don'ts of Branding Bernel has some really amazing advice when it comes to branding! From fonts, to colors, to what to have on the pages of your website, she talks about what works to generate your ideal clients. Bernel is also great at helping you determine who your ideal client is, because that's really where it all starts. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation and took so much away from this podcast. I hope that you get as much out of it as I did! You can find Bernel at or even better, follow her on instagram, @brandedbybernel, and if you have any questions, send her a DM. If you want to become a part of our Anchored Education community, join our
info_outline 73. Davey Jones - Creating An Optimal Website 12/30/2019
73. Davey Jones - Creating An Optimal Website In this episode, I chat with Davey Jones - marketer, content strategist, and relationship builder. I met Davey at the United Conference last year, and I always look forward to spending time with him! He has such an eclectic background and has a lot of great insight to share. Davey takes his experiences and lessons that he has learned in his previous jobs and uses them in his current situations. He would encourage you to do the same - think about what went well in those instances and what could have been done better, and use that knowledge in your current position. We spend a lot of time on this podcast talking about building a successful website. It is important to have a website and/or social media that showcases who you are. Davey has two questions that he feels you need to be able to answer in any situation: Are you good at what you do? Can you get results for someone like me? (Meaning everyone thinks that their business or their situation is unique, so they see you are good at what you do, but can you get those results for their specific situation). You can establish your ability to get results for 'people like them' on your website, and Davy gives you tips in this episode for how to do that. Also, check out his podcast for more great podcasts (I'm on episode 70). You can Find Davey at and on instagram @daveytjonesy and Check out the What The Gram pictures on the Don't forget that the is coming up in just a few weeks!
info_outline 72. Understanding the Value of Videography With John Bunn and Nick Miller 12/23/2019
72. Understanding the Value of Videography With John Bunn and Nick Miller Wow, I have so much respect for our two guests today, John Bunn (who runs ) and Nick Miller (who runs ). They are such great examples of what it looks like to do things with excellence and to genuinely care about client experience! They also do an amazing job of helping other photographers and videographers hone their skills and continue to develop and improve. John and Nick chose to collaborate and learn from each other, as opposed to charging for mentorship. Mentorship isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but in this instance, they realized that they could learn more from a long term partnership of learning and collaborating than just a one day monetary mentorship transaction. They understand the value that other people can give you, and encourage people to humbly ask for help in areas where other people excel. Feedback is what can help you grow! We cover so much in this episode. They share about the importance of doing things well and doing them consistently. They encourage you to be confident in your abilities and therefore your pricing, you are worth it! We talk about how our culture is becoming more and more video-centric, and how using videos (or even picture slideshows) can greatly extend your reach and influence on social media. John and Nick talk about how Videography is such a special way to capture a wedding day because it not only captures that one moment, but includes the sounds and emotions of it. You don’t want to miss this episode, it is jam packed with great stuff! John and Nick also have a podcast, “How To Film Weddings”, you should check it out! They also have a free workshop coming up on January 7th that you should definitely take advantage of at . You should also check out their facebook group, The Kreativ Summit is now only a month away! It is going to be amazing (and a great reason to escape the cold and go to sunny Florida for a few days!) Sign up at
info_outline 71. Practical Insights from the Founder of Sprout Studio, Bryan Caporicci 12/16/2019
71. Practical Insights from the Founder of Sprout Studio, Bryan Caporicci In this episode I talk with Bryan Caporicci. I am so thankful for Bryan! His helped me so much when I was first starting out, and he has so much amazing knowledge to share. I could have talked with him for hours! Bryan shares about how he started out in computer science and eventually transitioned into photography. Bryan has since been very involved in the photography industry. He has his own , and has platforms to teach other photographers. This includes his awesome , and a program he developed called that integrates all of the systems a photographer could need. Bryan is passionate about having a good work life balance for himself. I love how he says "We should be building a business that serves our life, and not a life that serves our business." We talk about the dangers of comparison, about deciding whether to scale your business, and about the importance of empathy. After listening to this podcast, Bryan encourages you to take some time to decide how you want to apply what you've heard to your life. What will you take away, and what will you do with it? This is great advice not only for this podcast, but for any information that you take in. You can find him on Instagram @BCapPhoto Also, The will be here before you know it! It's going to be an amazing time, you don't want to miss it. You should also come be a part of our on Facebook. It's a great place to get ideas and ask questions.
info_outline Raw & Real - Profit First, Contracts & Associate Growing Pains 12/13/2019
Raw & Real - Profit First, Contracts & Associate Growing Pains On this episode I cover Profit first, an incredible book, having your contracts in order and the growing pains of associates!
info_outline 69. Phil Porto - Building A Healthy, Successful Team 12/08/2019
69. Phil Porto - Building A Healthy, Successful Team In this episode I had the privilege of talking to Phil Porto. Phil Porto runs , a wedding photography company spanning 3 states -Florida, New York, and now North Carolina. Phil talks about what it takes to have a team of associates who represent what your company and brand stand for. No one is going to do it exactly the way you do, but you should have some non-negotiables as a brand that your team members all operate by. An example for The Portos is capturing real moments. Phil really takes the time to mentor and grow his team and give them opportunities. He has built a culture of support and trust and genuinely wants to see everyone on his team succeed. We also talk about the pros and cons of having associates that are salaried verses contracted. Phil is such an awesome, down-to-earth guy, and while his business is booming and he has won awards, he still realizes what is the most important in life, and prioritizes time with family and friends. He is such an inspiration! Phil will be at the in Orlando January 27-29. You can find The Portos on instagram @ThePortos To check out the What The Gram pictures, go to our blog post
info_outline FB Live - Get Inquiries now and Grow Your Business! 12/06/2019
FB Live - Get Inquiries now and Grow Your Business! On this episode we have a facebook live in our group where we talk about getting inquiries during slow seasons and beyond!
info_outline 67. Matt Barnett - Starting a Business As A Creative 12/02/2019
67. Matt Barnett - Starting a Business As A Creative In this episode, I interview Matt Barnett, founder and CEO of Bonjoro. Matt started out as a photographer and considers himself a creative at heart. When he moved to Australia he decided to get his MBA. His first business was a tech business that didn’t work out. Two additional companies, including Bonjoro, came out of that. Matt shares how Bonjoro was started, as well as some of the things that he has learned throughout the process of starting his business as a creative. He has some really great advice, and if you're thinking of starting up a company, you should definitely listen! I personally use Bonjoro and would highly recommend it! It's a great way to stay connected to your clients. Go to to sign up. Hop on their Live Chat and mention Anchor & Veil to get your exclusive 30 minute video funnel strategy session with one of the founders, using this link:
info_outline Facebook Live: 6 Things to do during the Off-Season to grow your business! 11/29/2019
Facebook Live: 6 Things to do during the Off-Season to grow your business! I have done an episode on this before but I decided to update it with a facebook live in the group. It's always fun to go live and I love having all of you in there to drop some knowledge to and share with!
info_outline 65. Raw & Real - Cancelling Clients 11/27/2019
65. Raw & Real - Cancelling Clients This episode we talk about some of the issues that come along with having associate photographers. The need to train well and the constant desire to please clients and make them happy in the midst of that proces.
info_outline 64. Ben Chernivsky - The Importance of Self Awareness 11/25/2019
64. Ben Chernivsky - The Importance of Self Awareness In this episode, I talk with Ben Chernivsky. Ben is an incredible photographer and business owner, and he has so much great information to share about that. But today we are going a different (and equally as important) route, focusing on the importance of self awareness, and how that impacts all parts of your life, including your business. Ben lives his life with the intention of taking action. He is able to do that by scheduling everything, surrounding himself with the right kind of support, and keeping his mind and body healthy. Ben works in super intense 30 minute increments, then makes sure to take time for mental breaks, doing things he enjoys like roasting his own coffee in his garage. He has found benefits from going to counseling with his wife. They have learned how to communicate, and found out each of their roles in the family, realizing neither role is more important. Exercising and eating healthy play a big role in Ben’s life, and he sees these as preventative measures to keep himself healthy. While Ben runs incredibly successful businesses, he says, “To me, your business is a supplement to get you buy in this weird world that we live in right now, it is not a measure of success”. He believes that it is so important to find happiness within yourself, and that no one is perfect, everyone is a work in progress. Your business is a reflection of you, so taking care of your mental and physical health keeps you from carrying baggage into your business. It has been so refreshing to talk about these things with Ben! Self awareness is such an important topic that directly affects your business, so don't neglect it! Ben will be joining us at the Kreativ Summit in Orlando January 27-29, 2020. You can find Ben on instagram @thisisfeeling on or on his website Also, We want to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving! Don't forget to join the Facebook Group and get on the mailing list for information on our Black Friday deal.
info_outline 63. Do Directories like the Knot & Wedding Wire even work? 11/22/2019
63. Do Directories like the Knot & Wedding Wire even work?
info_outline 62. Raw & Real - Losing Photos & Managing Employees 11/20/2019
62. Raw & Real - Losing Photos & Managing Employees
info_outline 61. Maddie Mae - Destination Adventure Elopement Photography 11/18/2019
61. Maddie Mae - Destination Adventure Elopement Photography If you are interested in elopement photography, you do not want to miss this! In this episode, I talk with Maddie Mae, a destination adventure elopement photographer and educator based out of Colorado. She is the founder of the elopement photography collective, Adventure Instead and the education brand, Adventure Instead Academy. After 5 years photographing big wedding days, she found herself burnt out and jaded with the performance and production of big weddings, and saw many couples get lost among the family obligations and expectations, wasteful stuff and trash, anxiety and stress, and forced pointless traditions. That all changed when she photographed her first elopement. Immediately she knew that it was her greatest passion to help couples be their truest selves on the day they get married and to bring the focus of their wedding day back to what truly matters: their relationship & celebrating their commitment to each other in an authentic & meaningful way. She took the leap to go “all in” and specialized her business in elopements in 2015. Applying the proven tools & strategies she learned studying business marketing in college, she booked 30 dream adventurous elopements in the following year, and had a 6-figure income—while transitioning her brand to the incredibly niche, pro-elopement brand that it is today. Now, 4 years later, she runs a Rangefinder-award-winning, kickass team of 3 adventurous female photographers (herself, Amber, & Tori), who together—travel to over 15 countries a year, helping over 100 eloping couples bring their vision of their own intimate & meaningful wedding experiences to life. Their mission is to give couples permission to do everything they truly want on their wedding day, create a safe space for them to be themselves, and guide them toward their unforgettable “just us” wedding day experience. Maddie also embodies this mission through her education brand, Adventure Instead Academy—by teaching photographers how to book more elopements and serve eloping couples. In 2019 she created the first ever all-in-one business & marketing online course that teaches everything needed to know to become an elopement photographer. Her course will be available for sale again November 26 - December 3, 2019 at She also runs a free educational facebook group for adventurous elopement & wedding photographers at I really enjoyed talking with Maddie and getting a chance to hear about all of the incredible insight she has for elopement photographers. This girl has passion! Make sure to check her out.
info_outline 60. - Joseph West - Keeping the Creative Excitement Alive in your Business 11/12/2019
60. - Joseph West - Keeping the Creative Excitement Alive in your Business Joseph West is an award winning Wedding Photographer, and one of my personal inspirations! In this episode, Joseph talks about strategizing to accomplish your goals. Joseph has personal projects that he will take to his weddings just to keep things creatively interesting and exciting for him, and it also helping set himself apart and showcase what he is able to do and what he wants to shoot. It is important to incorporate what you enjoy doing into your work! Joseph also talks about winning awards, how that can be validating, but also the importance of leveraging those awards in your business. Joseph opened a studio and discusses it’s success and how it is also a way to market yourself. He is a supporter of using facebook ads to generate business and talks about how he has seen the benefits of using those. This is an episode you don’t want to miss! You can also catch Joseph at the Kreativ Summit in January 2020 in Orlando! Have questions you’d like to ask future guest? Join our facebook group -Anchored Education. If you'd like to receive some freebies that I gave away at the Showit United Conference I spoke at last week, text ANCHOR to (704) 486-2620. Thanks for listening!