Ever Onward - the Voyage of a Transgender Navy Woman with Paula Neira
Release Date: 06/17/2019
Emily Harman celebrates three years and 199 episodes of the Onward Podcast. Up until recently, Emily never celebrated her accomplishments. And, she felt uncomfortable with the attention. So, Emily’s worked on herself and she’s ready to celebrate. In this episode, Emily talks with several past guests. Also, she interviews Dan Johnson and his wife Erin who wrote and sing the theme song of the Onward Podcast podcast, Quantum Leap. Furthermore, Quantum Leap is dedicated to the brave people in their lives who have shown them that it is possible to overcome obstacles and come...info_outline S4-EP28 Surviving Trauma and Thriving Forward With Joshua Ebalz
In this Onward Podcast episode, Joshua Ebalz talks about how he’s survived trauma and is thriving forward. In the past few years, Joshua survived the unthinkable. Both of his brothers and his father passed away. Furthermore, Joshua shares his story and his belief that even through loss, after loss, after loss, after loss; there is still the chance for you to live your life in a healthy, constructive, hopeful way. Also, overcoming adversity has to come from within. It will not come from someone else. Finally, living your life in the NOW requires you to understand your past and the...info_outline S4-EP27 Holistic Healthcare Tools For Living Your Best Life! With Whitney Erwin
In this episode, Whitney Erwin talks about holistic healthcare tools for living your best life. Whitney Erwin, M.Ed., LMT, has helped Onward Podcast host Emily Harman tremendously in managing her health and depression with holistic options. And, Whitney started her quest into holistic health when she was diagnosed with a brain condition when she was 20 years old and given a 50% chance to live. Now she shares all that she learned, and continues to learn, as she serves her clients. As the founder of Four Seasons Harmony, Whitney provides holistic health and nutrition, clinical herbalism,...info_outline S4-EP26 Accepting Your Greatness with Sparkle Lindsay
My guest, Sparkle Lindsay, is a transformation coach who helps her clients accept their greatness. Sparkle was on her last leg, only waiting to be fired from her job, or honestly, hoping she would never wake up. Then, Sparkle begin to realize that she had to change her narrative. And, in doing that, she left her job and went on a quest to save her life. On the day this episode was recorded, Sparkle was celebrating 3 years of sobriety! Ultimately, Sparkle become a transformation coach. She helps other workaholics, like her, learn to stand by their external and internal boundaries and reinvent...info_outline S4-EP25 How to Soar into Peace, Love, Joy, and Freedom with Dr. Valerie René Sheppard
Dr. Valerie René Sheppard talks about how to soar into peace, love, joy, and freedom in this week’s Onward Podcast episode. Dr. Sheppard is a stroke survivor, self-mastery expert, Certified Master Trainer, and CEO of The Heartly Center™. As such, Dr. Sheppard helps people live with more courage, confidence, inner peace and happiness. And, check out her multi-award-winning, #1 international best-seller, “. Furthermore, Dr. Sheppard is on the Board of The Evolutionary Business Council, and the first-ever recipient of Gateway University’s Barbara Marx Hubbard Outstanding...info_outline S4-EP24 How to Live From the Heart and Intuition with Ulrika Sullivan
Ulrika Sullivan shares how to live from the heart and intuition. Ulrika is a former scientist turned intuitive spiritual life coach, yoga teacher, and energy healer. And, she’s passionate about helping busy women to connect with their intuition, energy, and true selves. Ultimately, they find inner calm, self-love, and life balance which enables them to live from the heart with more ease and flow. At this time so many are looking to connect with themselves via their intuition and true self. And Ulrika helps spark that seed within others sharing subjects and stories of personal...info_outline S4-EP23 Unlock Limitless Wisdom and Creativity with Leonard Perlmutter
My guest, Leonard Perlmutter shares how we can unlock limitless wisdom and creativity by trusting our conscience. Looking outside ourselves for happiness is a useless pursuit, But where can we find the wisdom we need to guide us through the trials in our lives? Leonard is the founder and director of The American Meditation Institute. And his recently released book is a simple, logical introduction to how your mind works. Furthermore, it’s the perfect entry point for anyone who wants to live a more fulfilling life simply by learning to depend on their conscience. Listen to...info_outline S4-EP22 Self Care for Extremely Busy People with Suzanne Falter
Suzanne Falter is spreading the word about self care for extremely busy people. She used to think of self-care as a special treat — something she only bought herself occasionally. And, back then it took the form of a massage or a much anticipated spa day. Also, she always told herself she couldn’t afford it. Because, she had children to take care of, mouths to feed and a business to run. Therefore, self-care seemed like a low priority and a big, fat indulgence. Then Suzanne’s life fell apart. She lost her business. Her marriage ended, And she moved to the other side of the country. Then,...info_outline S4-EP21 Don't F*cking Kill Yourself: A Memoir of Suicide, Survival, and Stories That Keep Us Alive with Jeff Romig
A long time ago, Jeff Romig was asked a simple question: “If you could say one last thing to your dad, what would it be?” And, Jeff only needed four words: Don’t. F*cking. Kill. Yourself. Jeff Romig spent his career learning the ins and outs of community as a journalist, political strategist, nonprofit executive, and fundraiser. And, through each line of his resume, he’s fought a daily battle against his own mind. Furthermore, Jeff wrote Don't F*cking Kill Yourself: A Memoir of Suicide, Survival, and Stories That Keep Us Alive to remind us that the perfect LinkedIn profiles we browse...info_outline S4-EP20 Reiki Reveals the True Self: How Integrative Healing Helps Navigate Life's Challenges with Nicholas Pearson
Nicholas Pearson explains how Reiki reveals the true self and how integrative healing helps navigate life’s challenges. Nicholas is an award-winning author and Reiki teacher. And, he’s been immersed in all aspects of the mineral kingdom for nearly three decades. Furthermore, he began his Reiki journey in 2006 and has trained in traditional and nontraditional forms of Reiki. Also, Nicholas is a Certified Medical Reiki Master and an Animal Reiki practitioner. And, he serves on the Board of Directors of Shelter Animal Reiki Association. In addition, Nicholas offers seminars on crystal...info_outline
Emily Harman, host of Onward Podcast, interviews her Naval Academy classmate and Clinical Program Director of the John Hopkins Center for Transgender Health, Paula Neira. Paula shares how she overcame a traumatic loss (her naval career) but kept moving forward, being consistent in her core values. In moving onward, Paula realized her calling in life was broader than just serving in the Navy and that she has been blessed with the opportunity to help others in many ways.
- Paula explains the history of transgender individuals serving in the U.S. military.
- Paula shares why she decided to attend the U.S. Naval Academy.
- Paula explains why she had to leave the Navy and end her naval career.
- Paula shares important lessons (things to do or not do) that she learned from dealing with her greatest adversity.
- Paula discusses past suicidal thoughts.
- What does it take to respond to discrimination?
- What questions does Paula typically get asked about being transgender?
- Paula explains her role as co-sponsor of the new USNS Harvey Milk, an underway replenishment oiler.
- Paula and Emily talk about how we don’t always know the grand plan for our lives - your life is your life. There is no “supposed to be.”
- Paula explains how her experience shaped how she approaches her current job as Clinical Program Director of the John Hopkins Center for Transgender Health.
- Most societal change happens incrementally.
- What should a parent do if their child questions their gender identity and how did Paula’s parents react?
- In times of adversity, you have to take care of yourself and ask for help when it is needed.
- Paula shares that her Naval Academy classmates have treated with respect since she identified as transgender.
3 Key Points:
- Our country is stronger because of our diversity. People should not be denied opportunity ( i.e to serve or access medically necessary care) based on other’s prejudice.
- The struggle to move our country forward is often fraught with adversity and we have to keep going.
- For people who fight for civil rights or social justice, there are some important things to consider:
- Be Resolute (Never Surrender, Live by Your Core Values)
- Be Strategic (Make decisions based on achieving victory and not satisfying emotion/ego)
- Be Healthy (Self-care, Realistic perspectives, Patience)
- “The only direction you can go in after dealing with adversity is forward.” – Paula Neira
- “It didn’t matter how good I was at my job. It didn’t matter how dedicated I was. It didn’t matter what skills I had. The only thing that mattered was that my gender identity didn’t align with the sex that I was assigned at birth.” – Paula Neira
- “Part of being a leader is taking care of your people, and we’ve put into place regulations that prevent them from doing that.” – Paula Neira
- Paula Neira: Linkedin
- Listeners can contact Paula at work via email [email protected] or phone 443-287-7161
Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 press 1
The Veterans Crisis Line is a free, confidential resource that’s available to anyone, even if you’re not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care. The caring, qualified responders at the Veterans Crisis Line are specially trained and experienced in helping Veterans of all ages and circumstances.
The Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386
The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
JHCTH (Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health)
The mission of the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health is to reduce health care disparities and improve the overall health of the transgender community through world-class clinical care, medical education and research. Embracing diversity and inclusion, the Center for Transgender Health provides affirming, objective, person-centered care to improve health and enhance wellness; educates interdisciplinary health care professionals to provide culturally competent, evidence-based care; informs the public on transgender health issues; and advances medical knowledge by conducting biomedical research.