Ep. 20 EUGENE PETERSON
Release Date: 10/29/2018
"**Scenes that can only be performed, they can't be read**".info_outline Ep. 34 AARON SORKIN (Part One)
"The story doesn't really begin until you've introduced the intention".info_outline Ep. 33 Sir DAVID ATTENBOROUGH
"Nothing stays the same and it can't remain the same".info_outline Ep. 32 BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
"Enjoy the journey of life and not just the end game".info_outline Ep. 31 MARK RONSON
"Take the things that you love and build on them."info_outline Ep. 30 JEREMY WAITE
"You can change the world just by sharing your story".info_outline Ep. 29 Sir DAVID BRAILSFORD
"There is no 'I' in team (but there is a 'Me')".info_outline Ep. 28 CHRIS HADFIELD
"It's really important to remind ourselves that impossible things happen".info_outline Ep. 27 GRETA THUNBERG
"We can't save the world by playing by the rules".info_outline Ep. 26 STEVE JOBS
"You can change the world just by sharing your story".info_outline
"God, let it be with me just as you say".
He's a poet, pastor, preacher, philosopher and storyteller. He's the author of 40 books but is best known for The Message. A translation of the bible which took him over 20 years to write and has sold over 17M copies, making him one of the most important (yet largely unknown) authors of our generation.
In this feature length episode (part podcast / part audio book!) I celebrate Eugene's 85 years on this planet and explore the simplicity of his words, and how he re-wrote such an epic book by re-mixing it into a language that everyone can understand. Including me.
I'll never forget being at a U2 gig in 2001 just before 9/11 when Bono recited Psalm 116 from the Message at a key part of the Elevation Tour show. The entire atmosphere in the arena seemed to change instantly. This shared experience seemed to connect everyone but at the time, I, like almost everyone else, had no idea what was going on. Or what he actually said. So I set off on a mission to find out. Seventeen years later, the journey of that mission has finally come to life with this episode of the Ten Words podcast. I hope you enjoy it.
- Official website for The Message Bible
- A tribute to Eugene Peterson by @atU2
- The connection between Eugene + U2
- Eugene Peterson interview in Relevant Magazine
- The Hidden Legacy of Eugene Peterson
- Transcript of Eugene's TV interview "On Being"
- Eugene only ever preached "One Sermon"
- Retrospective on Eugene's life of "one long obedience"
- Bible stats featured in this episode
- Bono on Eugene Peterson
- Bono dedicates U2 concerts to Eugene Peterson the "beautiful soul"
- Eugene's obit in the NY Times
- Read The Message Bible online for free
- Rob Bell's book - What is the Bible?
- Follow Rob Bell on Twitter @realRobBell
- Follow the Message on Twitter @themessage
- The Man Behind the Message. (If you only watch ONE video THIS is the one).
- Eugene's first TV interview on making the bible relevant (again)
- Bono & Eugene Peterson chatting about the Psalms
- NavPress tribute to Eugene Peterson "A Life Well Lived".
- Eugene on translating the Psalms and being pissed off at his congregation
My "Kingfisher Chair". 37 times.....