Big Fat Geek Podcast
Geek culture for the casual nerd
info_outline 37. John Wick Chapter 2 03/20/2020
37. John Wick Chapter 2 Chris and Nathan got together late in 2019 to continue their discussion about everyone's favorite professional assassin, John Wick. They explore the second film in the series, noting key differences in tone and world-building from the original movie.
info_outline 36. STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER 12/23/2019
36. STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER All three of the geeks have now seen the conclusion of the Skywalker saga, and Dallas dials in from another time zone to chat with Chris and Nathan about the film. We’d love to get your thoughts as well, so feel free to email us at , or hit us up on Twitter @bigfatgeekpod), Facebook, or Instagram (@bigfatgeekpodcast). May the Force be with you, casual nerds!
info_outline 35. Into The Wick-Verse 11/21/2019
35. Into The Wick-Verse A bounty has been put out on our wayward Dallas, and while trying to collect, Chris and Nathan talk about their favorite professional assassin, John Wick. In the first of several episodes about the Keanu Reeves character who has changed how action movies are shot, the geeks talk about the original John Wick film.
info_outline 34. 2019 Comic-Con Trailers Reaction 09/03/2019
34. 2019 Comic-Con Trailers Reaction The geeks took the summer off, but they're back! With Dallas grounded due to other commitments, Chris and Nathan hop in their T-16 Skyhoppers to navigate the Beggar's Canyon of Comic-Con trailers. They bullseye the womp rats of new movies and shows they're interested in and excited about.
info_outline 33. Avengers Endgame Reactions 05/30/2019
33. Avengers Endgame Reactions The geeks gathered to give their thoughts and feelings about the blockbuster Avengers Endgame. Spoilers abound so don't ruin it for yourself before listening. Let us know what you thought about Endgame and your thoughts on the future of the MCU!
info_outline 31. We Play Clank! 03/07/2019
31. We Play Clank! Chris, Nathan, and Dallas sit down to play the deck-building board game Clank!, and record the whole thing. While recording, they catch up on what they've been up to geek-wise since they last recorded. Including some conversations about Punisher, Video Games, and what to expect from Captain Marvel. Clank! <> BoardGameGeek review of Clank! <>
info_outline 30. Current State of Our Geek Lives 11/15/2018
30. Current State of Our Geek Lives BFGP episode 30 =============== Current State of Our Geek Lives -------------------------------- Given that it had been awhile between our previous two episodes, the geeks wanted to catch up with one another on what they'd been up to, casual nerdom-wise. Dallas: Star Trek mirror universe comic series - Destiny 2 <> Arrow <> The Flash <> Ready Player One <> Chris: Mr. Robot <> The Knife of Never Letting Go <> Dead of Night <> Where the Shadows Lie - Michael Ridpath <> Talon of Scorpio - G.T. Almasi <> Wrath of Cons - Robert Kroese <> Nathan: Gloomhaven <> Dungeons & Dragons <> Marvel Unlimited <> Solo <> Ant-Man & the Wasp <> Riff Trax Live of Krull <> Daredevil season 3 <> The Haunting of Hill House <> Interview With Robert Kroese: Bad Novelist <>
info_outline 28. Aliens 08/02/2018
28. Aliens Load up the M41A pulse rifles and prep the drop ship, because the geeks are doing an Ancient Geek Mythology deep dive on James Cameron's 1986 masterpiece—and Nathan's all-time favorite film—Aliens. Chris, Nathan, and Dallas are joined by friend of the show Luke to watch the 1990 Special Edition of Aliens. For Dallas, it was his first viewing of the film ever! So pop in the Blu-ray or start streaming from your preferred service, sync up on the opening 20th Century Fox logo, and listen to the geeks deliver their own commentary as the movie plays. START THE EPISODE AT 9:37 TO WATCH ALIENS 1990 SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTORS CUT ALONG WITH US! It's the Biggest, Fattest Geek Podcast episode yet!
info_outline 27. Intro to Table Top Role Playing Games 06/28/2018
27. Intro to Table Top Role Playing Games The big fat geeks are sharing how they got into the vast world of table top RPG's and how you could get started too. Let the geeks know what are some of your favorite RPGs or tabletop games. Feel free to ask them any questions you may have on entering the RPG realm!
info_outline 26. Best and Worst Sci-Fi Technologies 06/14/2018
26. Best and Worst Sci-Fi Technologies The Geeks get together to talk about the best and worst of sci-fi tech. They are exploring the sci-fi universe and bringing you the best and worst out there. But we want to know what some of YOUR favorite and least favorite pieces of sci-fi tech are out there. Let us know on any of our social media outlets, and thanks for listening!
info_outline 25. Solo 06/05/2018
25. Solo Chris, Nathan, and Dallas chat about Solo: A Star Wars Story. The guys share what they liked about the movie, and wonder why it’s not doing as well at the box office as it should: it’s a really fun flick! [Christopher Turner - Complaining about Star Wars]() [Wannabe Films on Twitter: “The biggest problem with most @starwars fans is they don’t know what they want. TFA? Too unoriginal. TLJ? Too original. Solo? He doesn’t look like Ford. These are not real criticisms. These are the whining’s of adults desperate for the innocence of childhood.… ”]() [Nick Gillespie on Twitter: “#Solo was the most enjoyable #STARWARS flick I’ve seen in years. Can’t understand all the hate, tbh.”]() [Everyone Needs to Calm Down About Solo’s Box Office Performance]() [‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: Inside the Director Swap, Re-Shoots & More – Variety]() [Vandor-1 | Wookieepedia]()
info_outline 24. Avengers Infinity War Part 2 05/16/2018
24. Avengers Infinity War Part 2 Part two is here! The geeks break down the second half of Avengers Infinity War. What they liked, didn't like, laughed at, and loved. The geeks also are needing your Infinity War feedback! Call/Text 832-930-3283 and leave your thoughts on the film, you may make it on the fan feedback episode!
info_outline 23. Avengers Infinity War Part 1 05/10/2018
23. Avengers Infinity War Part 1 A spoiler filled episode of our greatest heroes the Avengers! The geeks get together to break down this massive film. Much like this Avengers movie we are breaking this episode into two parts. We’ll pick up with our thoughts on the second half of the movie in our next episode. We have also opened the phone lines again! Leave us a message or send us a text at 832-930-3283 with your Avengers Infinity War thoughts and we play them on an upcoming episode. As always you can email us at thanks for listening!
info_outline 22. Gearing Up For Infinity War 04/27/2018
22. Gearing Up For Infinity War The geeks get together to talk about what we might see in Infinity War and a little background on the movie before you go see it. From the big Marvel fan to the casual superhero film fan, the geeks will get you ready for the film. They talk about who Thanos is, where he came from, and what may be his motivation in this film. Also for the casual Marvel fans they offer some suggestions on what Marvel films to see to get you set before Infinity War. Thanos Copter - Thanos Recap - Marvel Unlimited - http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited
info_outline 21. Interview with CEO of Hero Within, Tony Kim 04/24/2018
21. Interview with CEO of Hero Within, Tony Kim The geeks are joined by Mr. @Crazy4ComicCon himself, Tony Kim. Tony is the CEO and founder of the Marvel and DC fashion brand, Hero Within. He is a passionate geek, from Comic Books, table top games, to all things San Diego Comic-Con and comic conventions everywhere. The gang talk about how comics impacted Tony as he was growing up, how Hero Within was started, and some of the many interactions he's had at conventions. Tony also shares some stories of hosting and moderating many panels at Comic-Con, including spending time with the great Conan O'Brien! Check out Hero Within and some other fun things mentioned in the show at the links below! Hero Within - Story of Hero Within - Tony on Twitter - Tony on the Web - Tony's interview with Edward James Olmos - Tony's interview with Ralph Macchio - Photos of Tony's jackets made from Comic-Con bags -
info_outline 20. Black Panther 03/27/2018
20. Black Panther The geeks are joined by friend of the show Moses Uvere to *finally* talk about Black Panther. Born in America, the son of Nigerian parents, Moses has a take on the movie that many in the geekspace may not consider. Things get personal as the four men take a deep dive into the superhero film that has blown through box office expectations and what it means to black Americans and those of African heritage. Black Panther <> Roy Wood Jr tweet about Forest Whitaker costume and grape Fanta <> Black representation in the Black Panther film <> Moses' official web site <> Moses Uvere - "Someday" <> The Little Rock Nine <> Dr. Melba Pattillo Beals, one of the Little Rock 9, shares her story with NPR "They Didn't want me there" Remembering the Terror of School Integration < > Wakanda's location <> Vibranium <> Chadwick Boseman (T'Challa) <> Michael B. Jordan (Erik Killmonger) <> Letitia Wright (Shuri) <> Lupita Nyong'o (Nakia) <> Winston Duke (M'Baku) <>
info_outline 19. Going to a Geeky Convention 03/20/2018
19. Going to a Geeky Convention Friend of the show Luke returns to help the geeks talk about conventions. No, not norms of social behavior, but gatherings of like-minded casual nerds and hardcore geeks based on myriad interests or a singular focus. If you’ve thought about going to that comic or sci-fi convention, but wonder what you might be getting yourself into, this episode will walk you through what to expect. If you have any more questions, email us at or hit us up on any of our social media channels! Facebook - Twitter- Instagram Luke's geek origin story Fan Expo Dallas San Diego Comic Con DragonCon Walker Stalker GenCon LeakyCon (Harry Potter based) John Barrowman Walter Koenig DeForest Kelley 501st Legion "Vader's Fist" Spencer Brinkerhoff III's Star Wars art
info_outline 18. Back To The Future 03/13/2018
18. Back To The Future The geeks are joined by friend of the show Luke Erlenbusch to talk about one of the iconic science-fiction films of the 1980s: Back to the Future. Crank up the flux capacitor, make sure your radiation suit is packed, and your Walkman has fresh batteries, because we're cranking it to 88 miles per hour and dialing the time circuits for 1985! Visit https://wp.me/p8JxSv-4S to see a video of Dallas building a Lego DeLorean! Back to the Future <> Huey Lewis and the News <> Power of Love <> The DeLorean <> Universal Studios Back to the Future ride <> Marty McFly's Madrid/Valterra skateboard <> Ray Bradbury "Sound of Thunder" short story <> Full text <> Butterfly effect <> Projection film room <> Back to the Future LEGO DeLorean <> LEGO Ideas <> Tab <> Dallas' Playstation ID for Rocket League "Jedi_Amburgers" Nathan's Playstation ID for Rocket League "BeKindToBigNate" Luke's Xbox ID for Rocket League "warriorgoof"
info_outline 17. Bad Sci-Fi We Love 03/07/2018
17. Bad Sci-Fi We Love We all have them. Those guilty pleasure movies which, no matter how we find them while channel surfing, or where in the movie we may find it, we'll stop and watch. Most of the time, these aren't even particularly good movies, but occasionally they are. Chris, Nathan, and Dallas share with you their top 3 bad flicks in the science-fiction and fantasy realm. The guys talk about why these movies matter to them, and discuss what each other thinks of them.
info_outline 16. Interview With Robert Kroese: Bad Novelist 02/27/2018
16. Interview With Robert Kroese: Bad Novelist Chris, Nathan, and Dallas are joined by author of 18 books, Robert Kroese. They talk about Rob's books, which include Mercury Falls, the hilarious Starship Grifters, the taut City of Sand, critically acclaimed The Last Iota, and his latest, The Dream of the Iron Dragon. The guys delve into Rob's personal geek history, and he shares how he got into writing novels about sarcastic angels and intergalactic con men. Rob discusses his somewhat unconventional journey in the realms of self-publishing and traditional publishing, and shares what he's currently reading [spoiler alert: some of it has to do with Vikings]. The geeks hope you enjoy listening to the conversation as much as they enjoyed having it! Find Rob at the links below! Robert Kroese Rob's books Rob on Twitter
info_outline 15. Solo Movie Trailer Reaction, and Introducing "Ancient Geek Mythology" 02/14/2018
15. Solo Movie Trailer Reaction, and Introducing "Ancient Geek Mythology" The trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story is out and Chris, Nathan, and Dallas have opinions, thoughts, and theories. They also dive deep into the known background of Han Solo from the original trilogy and the old Extended Universe in a brand new show segment, Ancient Geek Mythology. With this new segment we will explore the history of geek topics, characters, and ideas, and hopefully you will learn something you may not have known before. Time Stamps: Han Solo Trailer Thoughts - 0:35 Ancient Geek Mythology: Han Solo - 15:30 Solo: A Star Wars Story "Big Game" TV Spot <> Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Teaser <> Han Solo on Wookieepedia <> Sabacc on Wookieepedia <> The Han Solo Adventures <> Brian Daley <> Splinter of the Mind's Eye <>
info_outline 14. Star Wars Last Jedi Fan Reaction 01/09/2018
14. Star Wars Last Jedi Fan Reaction Chris, Nathan, and Dallas revisit The Last Jedi, all having now seen it at least once more. We also received listener feedback via email and voice mail, and talk about what our listeners had to say! “We Had Such a Great Time”: Rian Johnson On the Path to Star Wars: The Last Jedi <> Mark Hamill just literally said 'he's not my Luke Skywalker' about 'The Last Jedi' <> Colin Walker - The Last Jedi <> The Most Breathtaking Moment in ‘The Last Jedi’ Is Also Its Greatest Threat to ‘Star Wars’ Lore <> Kylo Ren as Matt the radar technician is in Star Wars Battlefront II <> 'Padawan': The New "Intern"? <> Nien Nunb <> The BFG podcast crew would like to thank Celldweller, aka Klayton, for his permission to use his awesome Imperial March version for this episode. Follow him on Twitter at @celldweller, and find all of his latest projects as well as extensive catalog at . The Imperial March -
info_outline 13. Star Wars: The Last Jedi 12/15/2017
13. Star Wars: The Last Jedi Two hours after they left the theater, the guys sit down to talk about their first impressions of the latest entry in the Star Wars universe. Chris, Nathan, and Dallas share their initial, spoiler-free reactions, before settling in for a long haul of spoiler-full discussion. Don't worry, the guys give plenty of warning before they jump into spoiler territory. Luke, Rey, Kylo, Snoke, Poe, Finn, Rose, Leia, Chewie, and yes, even the Porg, are discussed at length. The BFG podcast crew would like to thank Celldweller, aka Klayton, for his permission to use his awesome Imperial March version for this episode. Follow him on Twitter at @celldweller, and find all of his latest projects as well as extensive catalog at . The Imperial March -
info_outline 12. Predator 12/12/2017
12. Predator This year marked the 30th anniversary of one of the 1980s ultimate action films: Predator! Full of Schwarzenegger star power, lots of muscled manly men hunting and being hunted in a Central American jungle, and one of the greatest practical alien effects in cinema, Predator delivered many now-classic scenes and lines, including the (in)famous "Get to da choppa!" which even our kids have heard of, even if they don't know what it's from. - Predator <> - Shane Black <> - The Predator 2018 sequel <> - Predator 2 <> - Predators <>
info_outline 11. Gearing Up For Last Jedi 11/23/2017
11. Gearing Up For Last Jedi Chris, Nathan, and Dallas are getting excited for the next chapter in the newest Star Wars trilogy. They talk about what we know from trailers, TV spots, interviews, toys, and merchandising, and do some speculation. Figuring heavily in our thoughts is the theme of Luke being a broken man from dealing with Ben Solo's turn to the Dark Side and becoming Kylo Ren.
info_outline 9. Geeky Apparel, and How Many Star Wars Shirts Does Chris Own? 10/21/2017
9. Geeky Apparel, and How Many Star Wars Shirts Does Chris Own? While Nathan attempts to keep his illness from getting any worse, Dallas is in awe at the sheer number of Star Wars shirts Chris owns. The pair talk about some of their favorite geek wear, places one can find such items, and Dallas makes a confession about his love of stickers and almost buying a backpack made for children. Finally, speaking of stickers, we're giving some away!! Chris's Star Wars shirts <> Sticker Dallas got in Austin for Chris <> Hero Within <> Vintage Battlestar Galactica Viper Pilot Jacket <> ThinkGeek store locations <>
info_outline 8. Starships: Studs and Duds 10/06/2017
8. Starships: Studs and Duds Starships: Studs and Duds While Nathan is under the weather, Chris and Dallas discuss their top 3 and bottom 3 starships from movies and television, and even an appearance from a real life space craft. Dan Carlson's Starship Comparison Infographics <> Dan Carlson's Star Trek Minutiae Starship Comparison Infographics <> The Cygnus, from The Black Hole (1979) <> Flight of the Navigator ship <> Gunstar, from The Last Starfighter (1984) <> U.S.S. Excelsior <> The Rocinante <>